Cinderella's Tears ~ Chapter 1

In the distance I could hear my name. So softly… I groan and turn away. Warmth surrounded me. I part my lips.

Suddenly, someone takes my shoulders and shakes them violently. I woke up from my daze. Zoey’s strawberry blonde hair tickled my nose. I shove it away. She stepped back.

I was on the floor, wrapped in my thick covers. They were slightly ripped but it didn’t bother me. I let the covers slip off my shoulders. Cold greeted me and I shivered.

Zoey stood over me, with her hand resting on her hips. She was dressed in a common, orange dress. She glared at me with her dull brown eyes. I recoiled when I realized how much makeup she was wearing. I thought that it was just my imagination. She must be pissed. Zoey narrowed her eyes at me.

"I've been calling you for the past five minutes and you were still sleeping?!" She spat at me. "I had to walk to the dump.” She looked around the attic with a disgusted expression on her face. Before she left, she mentioned, “You’re needed in the kitchen, don't be late."

I didn't reply, which didn't matter since she didn’t let me. Slowly, I got up. I shivered and carefully walked down the spiral staircase. I entered the bright and luxurious halls. Better than the pathetic excuse I was stuck in. barefooted, I cautiously tip toed on the carpet. The kitchen door was on the far right. I placed my palm on the door. It was always warm.  Before I closed the door of the kitchen, I spotted Zoey entering the dining room.  I shot her a threatening glare and slammed the door closed.

When I was safely in the kitchen, I smirked.

I was still in the dress I wore to go to sleep. Since I didn’t have a lot of clothes I just wore the same for days.

 No one in the family dares to go in the kitchen and there was so much to do in here that I was never bored. Mary glanced at me and wordlessly she handed me a piece of string to tie up my hair. Heat crept to my face. I must look like a mess. My hair was so out of control that it didn't fit in one of those maid's caps. The kitchen was my favorite place to be. It was always warm and the food smelled delicious.

It was quiet in the kitchen except for the sound of plates clashing against each other and the food cooking. Everyone knew what to do and where they are suppose to be.  Someone passed me a plate covered with small tomato sandwiches. Another gave me a tray with tea and sugar placed on top of it. I took them and swung open the door into the dining room. Father just entered the room and was kissing the top of his family, who were already seated.

"Good morning Zoey and Lisa. How was your morning darling?" He kissed Rachel on the red, painted lips. I shuddered at the sight of her smiling. She looked at Father the same way a wolf looked at its prey.

If they noticed that I entered the room they didn't show signs of it. I placed the sandwiches between the other plates of food. With the hand I wasn't holding the tea tray, I handed the cups of tea by their breakfast plate. I chose not to make any eye contact with them.

"Good morning Father," I spoke quietly as I placed his tea on the table. 

He didn't even look up. He was staring at the paper

"Yes, good morning," he mumbled. I paused for a moment and stared at him pitiful. Who the hell do you think you are? You are just a blind man, played by Rachel. I turned around and walked back into the kitchen with the tray. I didn’t want to see their satisfied smiles, when they saw me in that humiliation. My face showed no signs of emotion. Making sure the door closes properly behind me, I slammed it close with all my might. The kitchen staff didn't even look up; guess they were all ready used to it. I leaned back on the door and stared at my shoes.