Chapter 1: That Night

Wandering through the cold, damp unforgiving streets of the industrial part of my hometown, I couldn't help but let my mind drift away to a different place.  

So much had changed in the last year that everything around me had become almost unrecognisable. The streets of my hometown were cold and unfamiliar. What once was my safe place, the place I belonged, now was just a city and I was just a lonely girl walking in the rain, blending into the background. Colour, it seemed, wasn't a part of my life anymore. 

Ever since he left, nothing seemed to make sense.

I let my legs carry me through the undistinguishable greyness leading me on a mental journey, not caring for the direction I was walking. I just needed to walk and think.

Maybe I didn't care, or maybe I just was too consumed by memories to notice the rain getting heavier and the silhouette in my peripheral vision just ahead of me.

I crossed the road and just as I stepped up onto the pavement I felt trapped. I couldn't move. I tried to take one more step but felt something clutching at me to stay still. I looked around me in a panic, hoping somebody was close by. 

My chest got tight and I felt suddenly like the world was overexposed and overly loud despite the lack of people and cars. Looking back to my feet the sounds grew distant and I felt the overwhelming need to look up suddenly. 

The rain had eased but now there was a darker cloud looming over me. Standing tall, there was a figure stood in front of me, hood pulled up and I could see no face. It was so unnerving to not see a face. 

I tried to move my body but I felt frozen. An ice cold breeze brought with it a scent so familiar but hard to place. I shivered as I stared at the figure I was faced with. I flinched and the figure rushed towards me and in a blur, pushed me backwards, sending my skidding across the tarmac straight into a freezing cold puddle. 

My shocked expression staring back at me in the ripples of the cold water. Who was this girl staring back at me and why did she look so down?

My reflection so unrecognisable to me now, I almost forgot about what was happening. The puddle settled as another reflection joined me in the puddle. I closed my eyes, afraid of what would happen next. 

A cold hand grabbed my shoulder and twisted me around at speed. I slowly opened my eyes and found myself face to face with hooded darkness. For a moment I thought I saw a glimmer in the reflection of an eye but before I had time to focus on the darkness, he reached out and grabbed my throat. 

I gasped for air and clutched at his hand but the more I struggled the harder his grip got and once I frantically looked around and found my eyes falling on where his eyes should be. I fell still. 

I stopped trying to fight, my body gave in and I went limp. As my vision blurred, I felt him lift me up and carry me away presumably towards one of the buildings. The rain was splashing against my face, the sound of my shoes dragging in the gravel, I could not fight. How could nobody see this happening?

I glanced around looking for help but the darkness surrounded me as he dragged me into the building and threw me up against the wall, pinning me there with his body. I could no longer feel my legs. Everything in me screamed out to fight  but my body was tingling and refused to respond. 

He let go of my throat, my head falling back against the wall. He traced down my neck with his finger and brushed my collar bone slowly. I shivered. 

Reaching up he pulled back the hood and as it fell back I was mesmerised. I forgot I was in danger because all I could see were beautiful, striking red eyes swirling with passion. 

He licked his lips and smirked. 

"P... please," I gasped for air. My own voice startling me. "Please don't kill me." I pleaded, hearing the desperation in my words. 

He tilted his head and looked me up and down. I'd never felt so watched in my life. 

Intense pain radiated throughout my neck. I realised I was no longer looking into his eyes, but instead over his shoulder as he sunk his teeth into me. 

The sensation was delicious. It sent shivers throughout my whole body and was unlike anything I'd ever experienced. I grew weaker and as each second passed by slowly, I no longer felt scared. 

He pulled away, my dark red blood staining the inside of his lips. A smirk swiped across his lips again as his eyes grew darker until they were so black, there were no reflections. Then just as his eyes had grown darker, so did my world. 

My body felt numb, I could hear muffled noises far away, the sound of leaves rustling, fire cracking and the wind as it flows through the trees. I winced as I opened my eyes, my neck stung and as I was faced with darkness I tried desperately to remember what had happened to me. 

I shivered as I remembered his touch. The blissful agony I had felt and the fact I was somehow still alive. I tried to reach up to rub my neck but hit my elbow against something hard. The thud vibrated around me and I reached out to figure out where I was. 

I pushed the walls around me and knocked against them. It was wood. I was in a wooden box of some kind. I pushed in front of my and felt the wood bow so I pushed harder. 

Once out of the box I tried to look around me but there wasn't enough light to see anything. Instead I followed the sounds of distant trees in the breeze and the crackling of a fire. It lead me to some stairs and I slowly climbed them, pausing every few steps to check the sounds around me. 

I reached the top of the stairs and found a door. I took a deep breathe as I twisted the handle. 
Light flooded my eyes and I stepped back. I rubbed my eyes and tried again.

The light was overwhelming but I walked out and closed the door quietly. I saw the front door to what appeared to be a cabin and I rushed towards it. Hope filling my body, ignoring the pain. 

Before I could pull it open however, a hand hit the door with such force I fell forwards. I hit the door and gasped.

Turning around slowly, I realised I was pinned there and was greeted with those same red eyes from before. I gulped hard, this wasn't just a nightmare.

"Going somewhere?"