Chapter 11: The shifty character

"Luke." I shook him awake. "We have to go."

I had all the things ready.

He sat up and last night's argument seemed to sink in.

"I'm sorry."

"I know you are."

He stayed quiet as I drove us out of the town and towards Venice.

It took a few hours but once there I wasted no time in getting to the train station. We left the car in the car park and decided to walk through the station. 

As we were rounding a sort of corner, a man in a hurry ran right into me, knocking me to the floor. Luke immediately begun having strong words with the man who was really apologetic, he helped me up but Luke pushed him away. However, I still noticed the way he gripped the collar of my dress. It was a very strange way to help someone up. He muttered something then hurried off again.

The people around us had noticed the chaos and were shaking their heads at him as he stumbled away. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fin..." I dazed off, unable to finish my sentence. Luke guided me to a nearby bench and just in time as my legs collapsed. What was wrong with me? Images suddenly started to pop up in front of me... They were flashing before my eyes... the man who I thought I'd recognised... the journal... my diary... the cabin... the Ministry... the car... Mr Ackleby! Wait what? Mr Ackleby? He was talking, I could hear him talking. How could this be possible? There was a computer that was tracking two people. The names on the screen were... No that can't be possible! A sudden movement in front of my eyes told me I was daydreaming, but that must have been more than a day dream. It was real, like I was there. I zoned back in and I was flooded with noise and Luke's voice.

A crowd had gathered. "Lizzie?" Luke was really worried, seriously worried.

"Yeah I'm fine, he was strange wasn't he?" Luke looked at me strangely. He had his arms on both my shoulders and was knelt in front of me. I attempted a smile but found I couldn't, I was too worried about what I had seen. That couldn't of been a vision, could it?

"Yeah he was," Luke replied staring after the man. He seemed to acknowledge something so I turned to look but he stopped me. "We'd better get out of here, I don't trust him." This made my worries flood back unexpectedly. What had Luke seen that had unsettled him? Luke took me by the hand and lead me out of the station.

I attempted to shrug my questions off but I was too determined to find out what he had seen. "What did you see? Why don't you trust him?" I asked expectantly.

"I was just watching him that's all and he just seemed too shifty, like he'd done something." I wasn't satisfied but I chose to let the matter drop.

We found a hotel and settled in. We took turns sleeping. I stayed awake on watch first. We had no idea if they knew where we were heading but all that was important now was getting rest and keeping to the back streets.

The strange lingering feeling of being watched was still noticeable. I felt uncomfortable and tried to work out what had happened earlier.