Chapter 13: The last train journey

The station seemed the best option.

We boarded the first available train and within minutes we were heading out of Venice. The train was headed for Switzerland. My first thought was that if we went to the alps, we might be safe in the cover of the mountains there.

"Tickets please." The conductor broke the intense silence. Luke handed him the tickets and we sat back in our seats staring anxiously out the window. 

"Luke? Won't they be able to... To find us... follow us?" I asked slowly. 

Luke sighed heavily.

"We just have to hope we can put enough distance between them and us. I know where we can go." I nodded and returned to staring out into the distance. 

I had to keep focused and not let this bother me. We just needed to reach the border and then find somewhere safe. After that? Well that was a problem for later.

I must have drifted off at some point as I awoke to Luke shaking me gently. 

"Wake u

"Wake up sleepy. We can have a bit of a break here. Got a while to wait." I nodded reaching for my cigarettes and my lighter. 

I exhaled the smoke slowly watched as it escaped. If only escape was that easy. I never thought I'd be jealous of smoke of all things. 

"How long was I out?"

"Not long. I thought you would need this break though. Didn't want to wake you up though. You look so cute when you are asleep." I laughed throwing down my cigarette and re-boarding the train. 

As the train lurched away I sprayed some more perfume and tied my hair up. I cleaned my wounds and got as comfortable as I could. 

It was many hours before we were at the border. I had our documents ready.

Luke had zoned out remembering all that had happened. I sorted our papers at the border.

Switzerland is not patrolled by the M.O.V.H and so we were safe. For now at least. We knew that we had to keep going or find a place to hide away. We had no choice. 

Quite a while later. We stumbled out of the train and int the cold embrace of Switzerland and the incredible alps. 

We took in the view before heading to a local shop to get supplies. 

I dumped the suitcase after buying a backpack. I also bought hiking boots, rope, lighters, torch, a tent and food. 

Then upon advice we headed off up the footpath towards a mass of trees. We would find somewhere to stay for tonight that would be close enough to the town to resupply but far enough in the trees to keep us safe.