Chapter 9: The beginning

"You didn't like her did you?"

"I saw the way she looked at you."

"Do you really think she was a threat?" He looked at me angrily.

"YES!"

He looked taken aback.

"Luke what did you expect? For me to just run back to you and thin it would be as it was before you... before you disappeared. Hell no. So much has changed. I don't even know you anymore. How could I know?"

"But her? She's merely a human a human girl who in her case only wants one thing. If you think I'd stoop to that than you really have forgotten everything!"

"I had to forget. Else how would I still be here?" He looked stunned. "How else would I cope with being jilted? Yes I know now what happened but that doesn't just cast away the years of hurt."

He pulled me into his arms. I rested my head on his chest after a moment.

"I'm sorry."

I pulled away. "We need to sleep."

He nodded and we went to the car.

I slept on the back seat and Luke pushed his chair back so he too could sleep. Our pattern was all over the place and that was affecting us. We slept for a few hours before the sun started to rise and we needed to leave before being seen.

I climbed into the passenger seat and we got on the road. We stopped once during the day to get fuel and some drinks and cigarettes.

After that I took over driving, It'd been a long time since I'd driven but it was natural to me now. I stayed focused on the road and it helped me to keep motivated. Luke directed me and planned out our route as we drove.

We were getting closer to the border and I knew we had to be careful with our passports. Luke had forged us some and due to the nature of his work he knew how to do that successfully.

We had new names now and this made it easier for leaving no trace. We stopped for one last time in France. We found a small hotel and settled in.

We went to sleep once we got there and slept for the longest time. When I awoke I had no idea what time it was. Luke was in the bathroom taking a shower so I set to writing in my notebook.

I got in the shower after Luke and we packed up again. I left my hair down in a middle parting. I wore a long black dress with red shoes. I put on a choker necklace and red lipstick. Luke wore a chequered shirt with jeans and mock docs.

Luke drove today so I set about spraying the car with the perfume again. I sprayed a little on myself and Luke sprayed his.

I smoked out of the car window as we drove the long stretch to the border. It would be a few more days before we reach Venice yet.

I was reading a book as Luke was busy being angry at other drivers, I looked up and laughed. I then looked in the mirror.

"Luke?"

"Yes."

"On our tail, right lane black range rover." He took a look and nodded.

"Them?"

"Yes. Throw your cigarette." I threw it out of the window and closed it. Luke switched lanes to be in front of the range rover then switched to be in front of another car. For a while he did this. I avoided looking in the mirror to not draw attention to us. I sighed with relief once I saw the first sign for the border. We went into some services and quickly refuelled and drove round the car park before hitting the main road again.