Chapter 5: The deception.

Without waiting for a response I finished packing and made a pyre of all the files and papers. 

I printed off my ID and laminated it. I prayed this would work. 

I waited by the computer but fell asleep only to hear a beep as an email came through. I was so scared but I replied and it was arranged. I was going to go into the place that hunts people like me and pretend to be human.

I was starting to feel crazy. I found a pack of cigarettes and I went onto the porch and lit one. I wonder why Michael had so many letters and papers with the M.O.V.H on them and on his computer too. 

The next day I walked for hours having burnt the pyre of papers and files back at the cabin. 

I cursed at not having better shoes but I was thankful my shoes were dry. I followed the car tracks through what used to be a road or pathway. The forest was bigger than I thought and although I could not feel the cold I could sense it and t made me shudder. 

Stopping for a quick feed and being very careful not to make too much mess I hunted alone for the first time and it felt so different. So freeing and fun. I almost forgot my mission entirely.

I soon found myself outside the pretentious building that was the Ministry. I sprayed the bottle aptly labelled to hide from humans and hoped it would work. I had found some contact lenses in a bedside drawer and applied a tinted moisturiser and a lipstick to look human. 

I took one last drag as I hit the buzzer to be let in. 

"Hello."

"Hi, I'm here for a meeting with a Mr. Ackleby." My voice sounded pretty confident and clear. I was proud of myself.

"Can you confirm your name?

"Danielle Jak."

"Thank you. Access granted. Follow the road to the main doors."

"Thank you."

As I went through the main gates and headed up the road I was stopped by two men in matching blue uniforms, one with a dog the other a scanner. "Hold your arms up!" The first man bellowed.

I raised my arms and they searched me in a very professional manner. They turned to each other nodded then lead me to a second set of gates. I sighed quietly. I had to keep my nerve.

I approached more gates and men in blue.

"Bag please."

I put it on the table. They opened it up and searched through my things.

"What are these?"

"Oh those, they are perfumes. A girl can never have too many especially on a trip to a new country. Bought those at the airport."

They nodded and closed the suitcase. They then gave me an ID and let me proceed. I smiled politely as I walked away up to the main doors. I was happy to finally see them but anxious because once I go through those there is no going back.

I knocked on the heavy metal doors and they opened.

A group of men in blue were on the other side of the doors, the threshold to a group of people, set out to kill people like me and here I was walking through their front door. This was now a life and death situation.

"Hello." A tall, dark haired woman beamed at me, it was most disturbing and seemed out of character for a woman who looked so sharp and strict.

"Hi," I politely smiled back. "It's quite a big place this, isn't it?"