Chapter thirty-seven

            Upon coming out of the parking garage and to the front door to check my business mail, I noticed a swarm of police cars and an ambulance. I titled my head back, looking up at the building thinking that is was a suicide, and I could see what level it was, maybe he jumped out of the window. That again it could be anything. I hate to find the police again on my floor and next to the office that I recently moved into.

“Oh God, what could’ve happened now” I groaned to myself.

            “I’m sorry ma’am no one is allowed in the building at the moment” said a policeman, as I was about to enter the building. I could either stand out here or freeze with my coffee and mail in my hands or I could sit in my car. Walking back into garage, I noticed the police have neglected to guard the short cut entrances.

            I threw out whatever coffee I had and pack my mail into my bag to make hast toward the door before anybody sees. Quickly flying up the stairs and making sure no one was guarding each stairwell. I was afraid I was going to run into that one cop who told me not to go in, and might arrest me. With luck, by the tenth floor, there was not a cop around and I was allowed to let my guard down.

            By the time I got to my floor, I felt the sweat poor into my shirt and down to my back and underarms, leaving an uncomfortable feeling every time I would move my arms. My floor was empty and not a soul was around.

I sighed knowing what I was in for, “I could just turn away now” I said to myself. Wondering what could have happened, I started to search the floor for a person that could explain what happened.

            It dawned on me, maybe there was a fire on a different level of the building. Maybe I’m the only one in the entire building. The feeling gave me an unsettling knot in the pit of my stomach. Quickly checking the fire alarm; the red light was not on, nor blinking so could it not be a fire. The knot untightened in my stomach and I felt relaxed until another unsettling scenario formed in my head.

            There could be some sort of killer on this floor. Maybe he has killed someone already and he is hiding in the cubicles. Maybe he is watching me already, waiting for the perfect moment to attack. My voice began to build up in my throat, if he attacks I will not have enough energy to call for help.

“Natalia” I jumped in my placed letting out a small scream.

            My boss, Mr. Tweed stood behind me, embarrassed of what I just did, I cuff my mouth, hoping no one would hear.

“I’m sorry, Mr. Tweed, I’m really sorry” I said. He placed his hand up, “What are you doing up here? How did you get pass the police?”

I shrugged not wanting to give the full story of my so called “Charlie’s Angel” move. He placed his arm around my shoulder and walked me to the door,

“You should not be here.”

            Passing my old office, I noticed a swarm of people, cops, paramedics, and a stretcher. “Oh My God, who died?” I questioned.

“No one, go home now!” he said. I struggled out of Mr. Tweed’s grip and darted towards my old office.

“Natalia, no don’t go!” It was obvious that Mr. Tweed didn’t want me to see something. I had to see what happened, after all whoever was after me, clearly didn’t realize I was not the occupant of that office anymore. And who was ever the recent occupant was mistaken for me.

            “Oh My God!” I gasped. The office was covered in blood and torn apart obvious by a struggle. It dawned on me I wasn’t watching no TV show and that this was real. And I don’t know what scared me more, the fact this was reality or that there are monsters like this in the world. In front of the desk was a sheet shaped like human body. It sent a violent shiver down my spine that caused tears to appear in my eyes.