Chapter twenty-nine

Chapter twenty-nine

            It was Saturday afternoon, in the local mall. The girls and I were searching for Christmas to send to New Jersey ahead of time, wrapped, and ready for Christmas eve for my relatives. The mall already has Christmas decorations up and holiday songs playing softly throughout the mall. Everyone started wearing heavier jackets, wool hats, caps, and gloves. There were even schedules for when Santa was coming.

            “What do you think your aunt would like?” Asked, Laney, home for the holidays.

“Oh, anything, made out of the curtain material” I said sarcastically searching through a stream of clothes. Laney laughed silently to herself, hanging onto a rack.

“Made out of curtain material” Laney laughed, “You really don’t like her don’t you?”

“It’s not that I don’t like her, it’s just that every year since I was five I’ve told her politely, sweetie, in Polish, begged and cried for her not to pinch my cheeks and she continues to do it.”

            Laney continued to laugh some more hanging onto the clothes rack. “Um, mom” Hailie said, I turned to her and saw the look of fear and concern on her face. She looked on the other side towards another store. When I looked her way, I realized it wasn’t the store she was looking at. The fake plants began to move, and with arms coming out of them, stretching out like a bird.

            Laney, Hailie and I stood there with blank faces, “Go and find Whitney, we’ll go somewhere else” I whispered, hardly moving my mouth. Hailie and Laney casually walked away to find Whitney. It was me and the moving plant. I stood still as if it was holding a gun at me. I hardly moved, and I hardly breathed, we just starred at each other. My anger lustered in me and I began to move forward towards the moving plant.

            It did not move in each once I grabbed the plant which was really a human with a camera. “Hey, watch it!” it exclaimed. It was a male maybe late thirty. I calmly placed my stuff down and cornered him against the wall.

“Where did you come from? Who else is here?” I demanded. He seemed hesitant about my tone of voice and he stuttered with each question.

“Uhh…T…T…M…Z….It’s just me, I swear.”

            I took the camera from him and smashed it against the floor. It broke into a million pieces and shaddered glass began to spread the floor.

“Hey, you ought to pay for that!” He shouted.

“I’ll pay for it when you stop harassing my husband and my children….” I growled, trying to cool my temper. The man was more of a boy after I was done, and then I realized my daughters saw the whole thing. They stood arms dangling at their sides, and somewhat mouths open. It was a sense that could’ve escalated with anyone else.

            After a few hours, the girls seemed to forget everything that happened as they began to search for good Christmas wrappings and ortiments for the tree. Every year they each buy a box of ortiments that they like. They searched the Dollar Store for hours picking up Christmas decorations of all sorts.

            Hailie, begged to go down the mall to the malt shop, after a few begs I let her go timing exactly when she left.

“Mom, look at this color!” Whitney fused. She held a holographic bow that sparkled blue, green and red when you moved it, and another bow that was holographic pink.

“It’s beautiful sweetheart,” I said.

            After a while I started to worry about Hailie, the stare case was right next to us from the store, and the malt shop was directly below us. Where could Hailie be? My heart began to race and my mind started to put together crazy scenarios of what could’ve happened to her. I gripped my purse strap a little tighter, afraid if I go look for her something might happen to Whitney and Laney. The sensible thing to do would be to text her or call, but my mind jump from that rush out and look for her.