The End?

A few days later, the committee of the Bulwark Cluster granted me a free access to the celebration. No extra permission needed, whoopie. The citizens, guards and soldiers postponed their duty for a few hours and enjoyed their rare off-time.

I met up with Ceedee and Glitch at the main rooftop of the Sky Gardens. Wounded citizen with bandaids and crotches staggered around, but their faces glowed with hope.

Just one of the many aspects I loved about humanity—no matter how harsh the society and the wars tore at the psyche, as long as there was a flicker of hope on the horizon, humans pushed themselves up again and went back to work.

Giving up was no option.

Never ever.

"Hey, are you daydreaming again?"

Glitch pulled at my jacket and sucked on some kind of snack.

"The big party's over at the club. Let's go."

"Right."

We crossed the skybridge and entered Molotov. As usual, the place was packed. Citizens and soldiers alike sang melodies of victory and clinked beers. Some folks even danced on the bar counter and shook what their mother gave them. A minor felony only few days ago, now a common sight that even the guards seemed to enjoy.

"What are you doing here?"

The sharp voice cut through the festive mood. Chief Orden pushed herself through the crowds, this time guard-less.

"I thought we've been granted a day off."

"Well, you aren't. And you've just broken yet another rule."

She paused for the verdict.

"Two hundred hours of isolation in the cell. Six hours of max sleep, one ration per day."

"You gotta be—"

"—kidding you?"

She took a sip from the blue liquid.

"Actually, this time I am."

She forced up her mouth wrinkles and expressed something others would call a smile. It looked so unnatural on her face, it had to be a twitch.

"I caught you for a second, admit it."

"Yeah."

She finished her drink and patted my shoulder.

"Well, enjoy yourself sustainably. But tomorrow, I want you to contribute to our society. You have to make up for the days you slacked off in the medstation."

This woman was unbelievable.

I had saved her goddamn cluster almost single-handedly while being on the brink of exhaustion, and here she was, still lecturing me.

"Right."

I wanted to add a witty line, but I remained speechless. Orden walked away and disappeared into the crowd. Ceedee pinched my arm.

"Wow. Was that Chief Orden's first attempt at humor?"

"Maybe the hot & sour drink is melting her frozen heart."

"Sounds like it."

I ignored Orden but kept her on my To-Watch-List. The second I was fully fit, I'd deal with her again. She was never going to imprison me—or anyone else for that matter—again. With my growing reputation among the soldiers and civilians, I commanded more influence than ever before. And I'd use it to change this Bulwark Cluster—forever.