Just Know

It felt as if the tunnel was calling me.

Not by name, because I had none, but by a faint whistle.

Tsssssssssuush.

Some background noise that hummed louder the deeper we marched into the tunnel system.

I kept that to myself because I didn't want to sound like a mad man going bonkers in the brain. Ever since I had woken up in that capsule-thingy inside the ruinous hall, my body felt as if it was attached to invisible strings. I first thought it was pure instinct guiding my path, but the more I ventured through this wasteland of a world, I realized it was something else. Which made me wonder—were all the decisions I've made so far really mine?

What was pulling me into this underground system, choosing tunnels that I had never passed, lighting my way by tingling my insides?

Maybe I was becoming mad. A sign from exhaustion and malnutrition, but I didn't feel as tired as my mind wanted to make me believe.

My feet moved on auto.

My body picked the tunnel.

And I? Just followed my limbs.

The troop morale had hit bottom since Nathan's sacrifice, and one more person freaking out would destroy everything, so I had to act my leader part.

A man without hope was a piece of meat.

"Do you mind?"

Ann-Lyze walked me up and clutched my arm.

I didn't.

Whatever made her feel better.

Heck, it made me feel better.