Endgame

The sound of a head getting decapitated.

Thankfully not mine.

The head-less Technoid, who was about to shoot me, fell over like a sack full of rations and went 'plonk' on the metal ground. Behind him stood Naif with his AK-BL8, the crystalline blade under the barrel covered with the artificial-looking blood from the Technoid.

He smiled, well, I couldn't see that, but based on his composure, he had to smile.

"I told you, the odds are in your favor."

"Looks more like the comrades are in my favor."

"Maybe."

Glitch finally dragged his crammed military rucksack to our position.

"Wow, wow, you freaking shot your grapple gun at the ceiling and swung like Tarzan through the commons jungle."

"Who?"

"Tarzan. Some fictional character I once discovered in a book."

"Pay more attention, Glitch. This is real life."

"Yessir," he said and gave me a melodramatic salute.

This kid could never stay serious, but maybe it was his strategy to cope with the war. My eyes inspected the perimeter. All Technoids within the hotzone were killed, but more would come soon. This wasn't over yet.

I shouted at the masses getting up from the ground.

"Citizens of the Bulwark, this is a rescue mission. We're taking back the cluster."

The crowds cheered and hugged each other.

It was an encouraging sight.

"It isn't over yet," Naif said.

"I know."

I silenced everyone.

"All the soldiers, please line up near the showcase. We have weapons for you."

In half a minute, the crowd split. Dozens of soldiers lined up to receive the weapons Glitch had brought from the armory.

Two familiar faces stood out.

Hecto and Ceedee.

For a second, all my tiredness vanished and made way for a mushy feeling. I was grateful for every recognizable face. Ceedee hugged me and pressed tighter than anyone before.

"I'm glad you came back."

"Well, someone has to piss off Hecto."

He almost grinned but caught himself.

"I see you're playing hero again. You just can't quit, eh?"

"It's the role of a lifetime."

"So, what's the plan?"

Straight to business, I wouldn't have it any other way.

"We'll arm all the capable citizens and take back L4-L9. Konforma still has control over the cams, so she can guide our advance to warn us from incoming Technoids."

"Do you have a sniper rifle?" Ceedee said.

"Sorry. No special wishes at this stage. You have to stick to an AK-BL8 or a Dust Viper 15mm."

She shrugged with a disappointed sigh.

Grabbed a 15mm from Glitch's gearback, checked the chamber, slid in a fresh mag and switched off the safety.

"At least it comes with armor-piercing bolts."

In the midst of the short reunion, Konforma beamed herself next to our group and raised her little pinky.

"Um, citizens? I hate to break your bond, but my cameras show that every Technoid is heading toward your direction."

Everyone nodded and behaved accordingly, i.e. gearing up and getting ready for the final shootout.

It was good being among soldiers again.

Konforma tiptoed toward my direction.

"I've got more bad news. I'm afraid the Technoids have captured citizen-scientist Ann-Lyze and are leaving via the Sky Gardens."

The anger cooked my composure.

"How is that possible...she was locked-in on the ground floor."

"Not really. I opened the door and let her out."

My mouth failed for a second.

"Why?"

"She's a high-ranking citizen and has the permission to access every level if permissable. She said she wanted to be of use and targeted the armory. I made sure the path was safe until the fire in the commons hall broke out."

Even the AI chained herself to the rules.

What was wrong with these Bulwarks?

Bureaucratic to the bone, even the digital one.

The anger swapped for an ad hoc plan.

"I have to get her back. Who knows where they're taking her."

Naif lifted his arm next to me.

"I'm coming with you. We make a good team."

I hesitated but he was right, his fire support was impeccable up to this point. Besides, there was another issue I had to take care of, but that was for later.

My attention turned back to Hecto who had geared up.

"You take care of the commons. Konforma can update you on the Technoid's positions."

"I know what to do. I'm the veteran soldier around here, remember?"

Hecto was acting full Hecto again.

Ceedee pinched his biceps and played her smile.

"He just saved our goddamn lives. At least pretend to be grateful."

Hecto ain't no pretender, but he did give me a nod, probably the closest thing to a compliment.

Whatever, I left him in charge and escaped the commons with Naif. The Bulwarks had now armored up and took position near the entrances, ready to reclaim the cluster, floor by floor.

I reached the staircase with Naif and rocketed up the stairs.

"Konforma, give me the abductor's position."

Roger that.

The endgame was near.