Storm's coming...

Location: some sun-bleached ruin in the industrial sector. Honestly, they all looked alike. Forsaken structures sinking into the golden ground, devoured by the blinding yellow sand.

I already hated that landscape, just as much as I hated it when the superior opened his mouth.

"Remember, you got only five hours before the sandstorm blows this city. For the sake of your future, find something valuable, or the storm will be the least of your worries."

He walked up Ann-Lyze and rested his arm on her shoulder. She wrestled with her mouth and forced herself to look pleased. She was having trouble tolerating the guy.

I could relate.

150%.

The superior said,

"Make this lady proud. She wants to work on some artifacts later on."

No one in the digger group cared, except for old Nathan.

But then again, he was a bit biased.

Being the estranged father and all.

Our dispatch spread out in the ruins and sang.

"We dig dig dig dig dig dig dig from early morn' till night

We dig dig dig dig dig dig dig up everything in sight

We dig up artifacts by the score

A thousand times, sometimes more

We dig dig dig a-dig dig..."

Couldn't stand this verbal vomit anymore.

We all moved toward the rubble places that were assigned at the mission start. I picked up the first chunks of dusted concrete and pretended to work.

Once in a while, I flicked a glance at Ann-Lyze when the guards looked at another direction. She walked around the perimeter with the superior glued to her left side. She inspected the digging site, picked up pieces and made notes on her datapad.

Damn.

If she remained guarded, there was no way I could ignite a conversation. Maybe I could find a chit-chat moment when our first little break happened. Something to keep this dick of a superior distracted. My eyes returned to the trash rubble that infested the space around me. During my first shift, I had found some vehicle parts and a couple of ancient rifles eaten by the rust. The superiors weren't pleased, but they didn't scold me either. They blamed the lack of discovery on my newcomer status but today, I'd better deliver something great. The minutes turned into an hour, the hour turned into two. It was right before the first and probably last break when the superior came my way with the expression of a thug.

"Haven't found anything yet?"

"This location is useless."

Ann-Lyze stayed next to him.

The man in charge said,

"Our intel says this location could be a goldmine. Are you saying our intel is false?"

"I'm saying there's nothing valuable in my perimeter."

"Then you better dig harder."

Ann-Lyze looked past his shoulder and gave me an I'm So Sorry Look.

Yeah, I was sorry, too.

She was so close, and yet so distant.

If only I could zap this superior sucker out of existence.

"I guess I have to level up my engagement."

"You better."

And that was that.

The superior waved me aside like a disgruntled slave owner. I approached the new trash section and started carrying more debris. My timer said we had about fifty-four minutes left till the sandstorm. My chances of talking to Ann-Lyze in private dwindled with every breath. Not to mention the lack of 'value' I dug up until now—some broken machine parts, empty rifle mags and lots of concrete. What kind of intel claimed this was a treasure chamber?

I was beginning to think the authorities of the Bulwark just sent us out to work our faces off.

To keep our rebellious spirits in check.

To weaken us for the propaganda, um, excuse me, the Correction Course, later this evening.

I already dreaded Konforma's squeaky voice and her endless ramblings on obeying and bowing.

Nothing was working as planned.

So I moved more pieces away.

Dug a bit harder.

Glanced at the brunette and the superior, stuck together like permasteel chains. Focused back on my work until a shout caught my attention.