Sky Gardens

Next stop: commons.

The elevator opened up. The doors slid sideways and offered me a view into the hall. My eyes quickly scanned the perimeter—three exits, one to my far left, one in the center opposite of me, and the other one on the right. People in uniform strolled around or chatted each other up. Some joined cliques and ignored the passersby. Guards patrolled the hall near the exits and watched the citizens.

Prison parade, here we come.

But hey, let's not complain.

I walked forward and tried my best to not look like a clueless fool. Citizens came my way and greeted me. I saluted them back and wanted to ignite a chitchat, but everyone was busy going someplace else. They probably wondered what kind of moron smiled back at them, waving his hands like a lunatic, but I just couldn't suppress the joy. After an eternity in confined spaces, this was a new beginning. When I stopped wandering around, I approached the central gate guarded by two soldiers.

"Is this the commons area?"

"No, it's the women's restroom."

The soldier's comrade chuckled under his face shield. My right hand wiped open the door. I traversed the frame and gazed at the hundreds of people rushing around the commons. The other half stood in line in front of the food showcase or sat down in the endless rows of metallic chairs and tables, designed in the blandest of all bunker-styles. At least the place was populated with people. Way better than talking to the wall.

"Don't block the way, man," one passerby said while maneuvering around me.

I wondered whether I should go for the line near the food showcase or just sit down when a familiar voice sounded.

"Look who's made it after all."

I couldn't pinpoint it yet, but the intonation showed warmth and care. My glance rotated and spotted the caller. A woman with icy-blond hair, surrounded by males and females of different sizes and colors.

"Ceedee?"

The name crawled back into my memory. She waved me over and I joined her clique. The blonde reached out her hand and I shook it like a berserk. Giggles around the group ensued.

"That's our lone survivor," Ceedee said, "we found him in an abandoned city sector. He was buried under a pile of rubble and covered in dust. I thought he was a corpse, but then he opened his mouth and said I was the hottest thing on the planet."

"Something along these lines," I said with a smile.

Two guys cracked up. I noticed the big leader and the thin geek who drove me 'home' with their camouflaged LRV. The old trio had returned. What were their names again?

"Do you remember us?" the geek said.

"Of course. Ceedee, Hecto and Glitch."

They almost looked impressed.

"I missed you guys."

More giggling from the group. Looked like everyone roared on high spirits, which was awesome. I enjoyed seeing lively people around me.

"Good memory. Which can't be said about your past experiences."

Ceedee nudged Hecto with her elbow.

"Stop being mean. He's probably been through a lot."

"Like the rest of us," Hecto said.

A new girl I hadn't seen before sat next to me. She looked like a teenager and wore headphones around her ashen-black hair.