Up Your Arsenal

The excitement kept me awake for the whole night. A positive tension rejuvenated every cell in my body, no electro-shock therapy required.

Konforma appeared on my wall-screen when the time came.

"Please assemble in front of the armory. The light will guide your way."

"What's the mission objective?"

"Orden will tell you everything you need to know. Hurry, don't waste resources."

All righty.

She remote-opened the door, and I followed the arrows pointing toward the nearest lift. I touched the screen which scanned my commcuff. The commons level had disappeared, only the 'go to armory' button remained. It looked as if only the relevant floor was displayed.

As soon as the doors parted, I dashed out the elevator and zapped over the floor.

Two guards halted me with their power posing.

Legs stretched out, their gloved palms pointed vertically at my face.

"Stop running. You're wasting your energy that's required for the mission."

"I thought we were in a hurry."

"Hastily walk, but don't run. You're causing needless commotion."

Same old difference. But arguing with the guards would result in rights revocation and probably prevent me from participating in the mission, so I abided.

For now.

"It will not happen again."

At least not in the next hours.

"Move on, then."

He waved me away like a stray dog with rash. To hell with these guys. Their obnoxious attitude probably sprang from their anonymity. With that kind of armor and face shields covering their heads, they could be dicks, size extra large.

Strap away their armor and what was left of them?

Well, this wasn't the moment to find out.

My eyes turned to the crowd of people that gathered in front of yet another gate. A couple of familiar faces awaited me—the clique, including Ceedee, Hecto, Glitch and other folks I hadn't seen before.

Chief Orden summoned everyone over and read some notes on her datapad. The second I entered the group, the iron lady's eyes picked me out.

"Look who has finally joined the round."

"I was running as fast as I could, but your guards told me to slow down. I either run and be on time, or I walk and come late. You can't have it both ways."

Contorted faces within the group. Looked like I was pushing it too far, once again.

Orden was the first one to put me in place.

"Watch your mouth, you ungrateful maggot. If I sense another micro-aggression, your rations will be reduced."

Then how was I supposed to perform during the mission?

Logic fail, but I kept it to myself. Pissing off two higher-ups before a mission start wasn't the way to win any awards...or permissions, for that matter.

"You're right, it's my fault. Sorry."

She rolled her eyes but kept it at that. I moved in-between the row of people and perked my ears. It sounded like a mission briefing.

Orden went full instructor mode.

"Now as I said before, your target will be the Abandoned City, Sector 7. I'll update the worldmap data on your commcuffs. According to the intel from one of our scout squads, we've discovered a group of survivors living inside the forsaken mall ruin. We don't know how many, but estimates say around 15-20."