Shooting Session

Prison cell, part...XVII?

I didn't bother to care anymore. The uniformed lady hadn't returned, and the girly voice from the camera stayed silent. My hope had burned with time, and the only option seemed to be dying of thirst. I've made peace with that decision, although I would have loved to know the secrets of this world.

Who was I?

Where did I come from?

And where was I now?

A thousand questions left unanswered.

A short life that started in a broken pod somewhere in the ruins and ended in a prison cell.

It wasn't fair, but justice didn't seem to be a part of this world.

It was only a matter of time before my body fell over and my mind blacked out.

And yet, anger stayed away from my heart.

At least I was dying with serenity.

Then the unfathomable happened.

The door slid open.

Two soldiers marched in and dragged me up. I tried to look at their faces but they were shielded with a visor. The symbol of an eye embedded into the face-hugging shield. Looked freaky, but after an eternity in the cell, I even took that. It was certainly more creative than the cold steel walls that pestered my view.

"I'm glad you're still alive."

Another familiar female voice, but this one didn't come from the camera. The iron lady joined my cell. On her lips half a smile. It looked almost welcoming.

Almost.

"You're one tenacious bastard."

"I like to stay alive."

"If you serve the greater good, you might just achieve that."

She pointed her gloved finger toward the opened cell door.

The soldiers pushed me through the corridor, right into the nearest lift. The lady commanded the touch display and made the elevator go down.

Same old on that front.

"What now?" I said, not expecting any answer.

To my surprise, she replied.

"You're taking part in our assessment test to show us which role you can take in our society."

"Assessment?"

"Do you know what a job interview is?"

"I guess."

"It's similar to that—only more interactive."

She stretched the 'interactive' part and cranked up a cold smile. I didn't mind. Anything to get me out of my steel box. The doors lifted again and the soldiers ushered me into another steel-framed chamber, the size of a studio. Seriously, this place must have been built by iron freaks.

At least there was enough leeway for my limbs.

I stretched them and embraced my new space.

The iron lady spoke behind my back.

"I encourage you to do your best in the upcoming hour. If you don't prove your worth, we're forced to degrade you to the digger rank."

"What do I have to do?"

"She will tell you everything. I'd like to wish you good luck, but that's not going to help you. Only your sense of survival will."

Before my lips could form another question, the gate shut behind my back and disconnected me from the lady and her armored men. Here I was again, alone in a chamber, facing the unknown.