Under fire

"What's happening?"

Ann-Lyze right there, jumping up from the bench and staring at us with a shocked and sweaty face.

"The Technoids have located us. We have to leave this perimeter ASAP."

The diggers aroused next.

Everyone's tiredness vaporized in a second.

"But go where? This entire sector maybe infested."

The digger was right, which reduced our options.

The loathed alternative came to mind.

"We'll return to the tunnels."

A second of bewilderment captured everyone.

Awed faces wherever I looked.

"It's our only alternative. Out here, we're deadmeat. Underground, we're at least protected from sniper fire."

No one objected, not even the soldier.

"If you say so."

The diggers grabbed Nathan from the bench and followed me. We escaped the lobby, entered through the very wall hole we came through and found ourselves back in the trash-piled alley. The digger pointed toward the main road that glistened on the other end.

"That's the shortest way to the underground entrance."

"But that exposes us to the sniper fire."

Hesitation in the group.

My commcuff showed me the map of the known surrounding. I calculated a new one that would lead around the main streets. Long, but necessary. The group followed me and stayed close. We hurried, but with the diggers carrying old Nathan, our speed dwindled.

"Leave me, I'm only holding you back," he said with a weakened voice.

Ann-Lyze protested.

"No way. We're not leaving you behind."

The diggers wrestled with their faces.

An hour ago, they would have agreed with Ann-Lyze.

But with their strength fading, and the Technoids lurking in the area, the 'no man left behind' narrative started to crumble.

Still, I pressed on.

"Remember, guys. Zigzag lines. We want to avoid being an easy target."

"Easy to say when you don't carry anything," one of the diggers said.

My fears came true.

The frustration grew with every step.

Nathan sent me a defeated smile.

As if to say, it's okay, son.

Well, it wasn't.

I kicked open a half-broken window and helped everyone inside. The location of the hatch to the underground was burned into my membrane. I knew every step by heart, even without the map of the commcuff. The diggers dreaded every new obstacle and rested near a wall.

This was not the time to slow down, but I couldn't scold them.

Ann-Lyze sent me a glance devoid of hope.

Even she realized what was about to happen.

I should have said, it's going to be alright.

But we knew better.