Under siege

"Konforma, do you have control over every door in the cluster?"

"No. The Technoids have hacked into the grid system and control L4-L9 where the major facilities are located, including the hall with the armory, the commons and the R&D and engineering facilities. The upper levels, where the committee resides, has its own security network, which they haven't breached so far. But with their advanced equipment, they'll eventually break through the gates."

Tough but manageable.

The element of surprise was still on our side.

Us against a Technoid platoon?

Pure suicide, but if we reached the armory, we'd get to Orden, Glitch, four guards and enough firearms to start an urban war. Then we could advance toward the commons and free fifty soldiers and hundreds of citizens, which shifted the odds back in our favor.

Risky, but doable, if you were as delusional as me.

"Let's not waste any second. Konforma, can you update the enemy positions via my commcuff?"

"Yes. I've reestablished the connection as we speak. And I've calculated the chances of your plan's success rate."

"I'm not sure I want to know."

"97% chance."

"That's incredibly optimistic."

"Of failure," she said.

"Oh. Thank tech I'm bad at math."

I checked the Dust Viper 15mm and counted the bolts. One in the chamber, nine in the mag, so a total of ten that had to last till the armory. Which meant I had to aim for the Technoid's face shields which carried the least amount of protection.

Challenge: accepted.

I turned to Naif.

The man I needed at my side.

When we both hushed through the doorframe, Konforma locked down the gate behind us.

Ann-Lyze on the other side hammered her hands against the steel frame.

It was soundless, so she talked to me via the commcuff.

"What the hell are you doing?"

"I'm sorry. But it's safer for you stay here. Besides, you would only get in my way. This is a soldier's job."

She protested, but I ignored her.

Emotions had no place in the upcoming battle.

With the little strength left, I had to focus on the essential.

Liberate my friends.

Dispose of the Technoids.

And tell that AI what to do.

"Konforma, show me the fastest staircase way to the armory floor. Warn me of nearby hostiles."

"Yes sir."

It was good to see her cooperating. Maybe her programming changed according to the gravity of the situation. With her control over the cameras within the cluster, she was the perfect source of intel.

My little digital spy.

Naif followed me to the staircase.

We boosted up the metal steps while making as little noise as possible.

"Four more floors to go," Konforma said.

"Roger."

"Can you keep up?" I said to the soldier.