Chapter 18: Knights, Princesses and Dragons

Dad had a company dinner tonight and told us that he would be back late. I knew he was bringing Carmen but ever since we found out about her, he's been anxious to bring her up. We met her a little bit after the incident but it was only for a moment when she came to drop some stuff off for dad. From our brief encounter she seems nice, but I've learned that people are more than just what they seem. 

My older brothers had left to go take Andrew out on the town, leaving me with my younger ones. I was lounging on the couch when Daniel approached. He had his hands in his pocket, looking down until he came to the couch, which he then looked up and smiled sheepishly at me. I knew he wanted something. I raised an eyebrow and he spoke.

"Paisley, can we go somewhere?" Daniel asks.

"Its six pm."

"Sooooo..." He asks and I roll my eyes.

"It's late."

"No its not! Pleeeeaaassseeee!" he begs and I shake my head.

"Where can we possibly go?"

Daniel pouts, "The park?"

I sigh, "Okay."

He grins from ear to ear and I pull on my black Nikes. We're definitely walking because I need some exercise. Daniel won't mind because I'll buy him some ice cream or something. I put twenty dollars in my pocket in case we wanna get something and yank my brown long hair in a ponytail. I decide against running shorts and leave on my gray sweats that go to my knees. I do put on Evans old XL football jersey and grab my phone. Daniel is already at the door bouncing up and down and so are Max and Mason. I can't help but smile. They're little balls of energy and being cooped up in the house would drive me insane as well. This will be a good thing for all of us.

"Let's go," I say and we leave the house. The park isn't far but it isn't close either. We pass many small stores where they sell everything. Antiques, ice cream, art, clothes. The little one's end up playing tag and I run with them, I don't make it far and realize how out of shape I've gotten. We make it to the park and I push Daniel in the swing while Max and Mason play army. Daniel joins them soon and I go to sit down but they want me to play with them. Apparently they're knights and they have to protect me from the dragon and everything. Of course there's an imaginary dragon but we end up running around the entire park and finally collapse on the floor of the jungle gym. 

I take a seat on the bench and watch my little brothers run around. For once, the park isn't filled with people, it' just us. A part of me keeps looking over my shoulder, expecting Eric or any of his friends to come out. It's been exhausting watching my back. With Katrina and Stacy here, Eric's stepped up his game. Thankfully, no one shows up.

I lean back on the bench, watching the sky. The sun was beginning to set, meaning we would have to leave soon, but for just a little longer, I wanted to appreciate the changing colors. Mom always used to love sunset, she would paint it when she was bored. She said there was something peaceful about the sunset, no matter how bad your day was, it would always end and a new day would begin. In my case, one bad day just leads to another...still it is nice to watch the sunset.

A loud cry breaks me out of my thoughts. I see Daniel on the ground, clutching his ankle while Max and Mason stand over him. I quickly jump up, running towards them.

"Daniel, what's wrong?" I ask anxiously and his lower lip quivers.

"I failed," he says softly and I see a tear slip down his cheek.

"What on earth are you talking about?" I ask and he looks up at me.

"I was a knight and I was supposed to defeat the dragon but I fell off the playground. Now my foot hurts. How will I ever be a good knight when I just got hurt? I shouldn't be so weak."

"Hey," I tell him, running my fingers through his hair, "Listen, I know you think you're weak but you're not. You're human, you will get hurt, that's just our nature. It is what keeps us separate from dragons. I'm sure when you fell, you provided a distraction to let Max and Mason defeat the dragon, right?"

Max and Mason nod, "Yes, if it wasn't for you, he would've defeated us!"

I smile, "See, you're not weak, you're strong. You got hurt but then you helped your brothers defeat a big dragon. That's the most important thing. You have to learn to lean on your family and work together to defeat dragons. Else, you will just endanger yourself."

Daniel looks up hopefully, "Really, I helped?"

I smile, "Of course, I saw you 3 fighting and you were the best knights I've ever seen."

All 3 smile, Daniel seems to forget all about the fall. I help him up, asking him to try to walk. He says he can and that it doesn't hurt as much. I hold his hand as we make our way back home. As we are walking, Max looks at me.

"Paisley," Max says.

"Yes?"

"If we are knights, does that make you a princess?"

"Or maybe I can be a knight too?"

All 3 laugh before Max speaks, "You can but you are a princess. As knights, we will always protect you from dragons."

I smile, if only they knew exactly what kind of dragons I faced. My mind was my worst enemy and I knew it. I can't escape it though, no matter how hard I try, my mind will always destroy me. As much as I would love their help in fighting this particular dragon, I can't. This dragon is one I need to face alone but for now I'll say thank you and smile. 

Once I did that, they gave me a hug, thanking me for taking them to the park and reminding me that I can always count on them to protect me.

Suddenly I feel guilty for the cutting.

-------------------------------

I thought it was a cute chapter. What'd you think? Let me know:)

Vote.

Comment.

Share.

XOXOXO