Chapter 4: First Day of School

When my alarm rang in the morning, I felt like puking. I didn't like school, I know most teenagers say this, but I honestly don't have anything to look forward to. Granted, this is a new school so it will probably be different than my old one but I will still be the odd one out. I'm not the most sociable person and I'm the most awkward out of everyone in this family. Maybe there won't be bullying but I definitely will feel like I don't fit in.

I hear doors slamming open and racing to get to the bathrooms. I'm so happy I have my own so I don't have to fight for the bathroom. But it doesn't matter, I can't will myself to leave my bed. The mattress suddenly feels more comfortable and warm.

But I couldn't get away with not going to school because Evan is pounding on my door.

"Paisley, get out of bed!" He shouts and I sigh. I roll over and wish that the cover could embrace me and never let me leave but that isn't the case. I simply trudge out of bed and into my bathroom. First I brush my teeth because morning breath isn't good. Then I go to work on the hideous bird's nest that is my hair. I comb it out first before grabbing my straightener to make my hair prettier. My brown hair looks softer and silkier after I straighten it and I take two small strands and do braids. I clip the braids in the back of my head with bobby pins and smile. Talk about an easy hairstyle.

I don't wear much makeup but I do add a thin layer of eyeliner and do a wing. I also add some concealer to conceal my pimples because I don't need people pointing that out. I look at myself in the mirror and can't help but see the flaws. My face is a bit chubby, my bangs don't look exactly right and my smile makes me look weird. I turn around and sigh; right now this won't help me, I should go get dressed.

I decide to wear a purple tank top, a black leather jacket over it, blue jeans and my black converse. It's plain and simple but it works well for me. I grab mom's locket and put it around my neck before grabbing my black messenger bag. I swing the door open and I didn't know Evan was about to knock so as I opened the door, Evan crashed to the ground. Thankfully I moved out the way and so he crashed into the floor without taking me down with him.

"Why'd you open the door?" He asks as he picks himself up.

"Because I was done so I was heading downstairs," I say in a matter-of-fact tone, "Why were you coming to knock on my door?"

He rubs his head, "I lost the bet."

"What bet?"

"Over who will go make sure you're actually out of bed and ready for school," he tells me, "Don't act like you weren't thinking about skipping."

"I didn't say I didn't think about it but here I am."

He smiles and swings his arm over my shoulder and pulls me close, "See, I knew you had it in you. You're strong."

I don't know about that.

I smile, "Sure am so are we going to go?"

He nods, "Let's go."

When we get downstairs, my brothers are all lounging around in the foyer. Most looked shocked that I actually got out of bed. I'd be lying if I said I didn't wanna go to school but I guess I have to put on a strong front.

"You owe me ten dollars Logan," Jordan says and Logan winces.

"Ouch bro, you're really gonna make me pay you those ten dollars?"

"Yep," he says, popping the p, "I was right so why wouldn't I want my spoils."

Logan removes ten dollars from his wallet and pays Jordan. I raise my eyebrows.

"What was the bet?"

Logan rubs the back of head and clears his throat before speaking, "Um-well...we had bet whether or not you'd be at school today or not."