Chapter 18: Gray vs. Mizu

Hia guys. I need to apologize for the massive gap in updates. I was struggling with both doing updates and finishing my school work, so I took a break for a bit. Anyways, hopefully weekly updates are back up and running! Now, onto the chapter...

--------------------------------------------------

~Gray's POV~

I stare at the burnt grass, confused. How did his water burn grass? I look back at him, and he stands there, smug as ever.

"What was that?" I growl.

"Water," he replies simply, his smile growing.

"ICE MAKE: ICICLE RAIN!" I shout, and thousands of sharp icicles pound towards Mizu, but he doesn't move. They collide with him, steam pours everywhere, and every single icicle melts on his skin.

I stand there, in utter shock. My ice didn't even penetrate his skin. He laughs, then slashes another water blade at me, I dodge out of the way, landing farther back.

What the hell am I supposed to do?

He raises his hand, and daggers of water start spouting from his fingers, directly at me, and I am forced to run from them. He catches my shoulder, and It starts to burn. I fall to my knees, clutching my shoulder, cooling it with ice particles. I shoot him a glare, and he readies his hand again.

He does the same attack over and over, and I get burns on my legs, arms, and one on my neck. I kneel on the ground, panting. My attacks don't work on him, they just melt. And I bet, if I try and touch him, the contact will burn me. I'm going to lose, there's no other way...

Suddenly, just as Mizu is preparing for another round, out of nowhere a giant wave of water crashes into him, knocking him into a tree. He hits the trunk with a loud thud, and stumbles around, confused.

"Gray!" A familiar voice shouts, and Juvia drops down beside me, a worried look in her eyes.

"Juvia?" I mutter. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"Helping you!" she says, her eyes scanning my burns. "Stay put. I'll fight."

I gape at her, "Are you insane?"

"Your attacks have no affect on him, so what's the point in wasting your energy?" she says, raising her eyebrows.

She has a point.

But for my ego's sake, I can't give up now and let her fight this for me. I get to my feet with a groan, and stumble up beside her.

"No, I will help."

She gives me a sidelong glance, which I thinks was meant to be affectionate, but she's interrupted by a blast from Mizu. She pushes me to the side and accepts the strike. The water just breaks against her skin, and she blasts him with her own water, which he dodges.

"It's no use," I say to her, "Water won't affect either of you."

"I will fight till the end," she replies, giving me a sorrowful look. My eyes meet hers, and she smiles slightly. She turns away and dodges his next attack, and as she does, I spot a large knife hanging from her belt under her blue robe. An idea pops into my head.

"Juvia! I have a plan. Come here," I say, and although confused, she runs towards me.

I get to my feet, and suddenly pull her into an embrace, and she gasps.

"Gray...?" she stutters. I lean my head down, bracing my cheek against hers. I feel her shutter, but ignore it. Now's not the time for those feelings fluttering in my stomach.

"Juvia," I whisper in her ear.

"What?"

"Give me the knife."

She hesitates, and then her shoulders slump a little bit. She discreetly unclips it from her belt and passes it to me, our bodies blocking the view from Mizu.

"What is this?" Mizu yells. "We're in the middle of a battle!"

Just to put the cherry on top of this wonderful acting cake, my lips brush over her cheek as I break away. Well, the only reason for that may not have been just acting.

I see Juvia freeze as I back away, her eyes wide, cheeks red, hands quivering.

"Juvia, it's okay," I murmur.

~Juvia's POV~

My heart is uncontrollable, my knees shaking mercilessly. Even though now I know it was just an act, I am still hit with the same, deep feelings. The kiss though, there was no purpose for that.

Or was there?

No, just wishful thinking on my part. I try to bring myself back to the past.

"Juvia, it's okay," I hear Gray mutter. I meet his dark eyes, and I realize what his plan is. But I want that embrace to be true, to be real. Still kind of shaky, I reach out for his hand, and he takes it. We intertwine fingers and I move to his side, my breathing relaxing.

"Let's do this," I say, glad that my voice didn't break. I hit Mizu with a frontal attack, a stream of sharp water sprouting from my palm. Mizu dodges it, as expected, but I bring in a large wave from both sides, trapping him in his spot. And, as he goes to jump to avoid all my chaos, Gray appears behind his back, and thrusts the knife into the back of his neck.

Mizu's eyes widen, and he slumps to the ground, taking the beating from both my waves. Once the water clears, Gray comes to my side, to look at the dead Mizu.

"Are you sure he's dead?" I ask. Gray just nods silently.

Suddenly and unexpectedly, Gray pulls me into him, hugging me. I freeze again, trying to get my heart to stop pounding. Gray doesn't say anything, he just stands there, arms around me, jawline resting against my head.

I don't say anything either, I just wrap my arms around his bare back and rest my head on his shoulder.

We stand there in utter silence, just hugging.

And it's the best thing that's happened in a long time.

--------------------------------------------------

Hi! Wow it's been a LOOOONNNGGGG time since I update! Sorry!

Here ya go though, a wonderful Gruvia moment. THE FEELS OMG.

~Aleyna~