Replacements

Chapter 17

Replacements

Ben was very relaxed at this stage in the show. The show was going on for another two weeks and by now everything was so smooth and his job became so much easier. Until Dene rushed up to him. "Ben, we need you to go on tonight."

"What?!" Ben said, removing his headset to make sure he wasn't just hearing things. Maybe this show had finally made Dene go crazy...

"Two of the ensemble members are sick. They got food poisoning and we need someone else to balance out the show, and you're the only chance we've got," Dene rush-explained. The show was due to start in an hour, so he needed Ben to just get costumed and on stage. Dene would take the Stage Manger duties for him tonight.

"Are you sure I can do this?" Ben asked, "can't we just balance the cast by removing a wife for tonight?"

Dene shook his head, "It's not the cast balance that's the problem. Look, we really don't have time. If you really don't know what's going on, don't go on stage, but we need you to balance everyone out," Dene snapped.

Ben knew that this wasn't time to back down. Only two more weeks of this, he thought to himself.

____________________________________________________________

Ben was looking for Brittany after Act I. She was in the green room, chatting to Walter and Sara. "Brittany. Heat cream please!" He said, his knees aching.

Brittany smiled, "Well Mr 'It's not that hard to kneel during the show', look who's sucking up now," she teased.

Ben deserved it. He didn't deny it, but he just needed his knees to stop burning. Who knew that kneeling could be so painful? Brittany knew she had to get him some though, or he wouldn't be able to walk tomorrow.

Ben was praising Brittany for the heat cream. Luckily it was only for another hour he would have to kneel, and then he would be back to his rightful place backstage.

____________________________________________________________

Alice and Ryan were waiting at an office the next day. Carla was sitting with them, their headshots and resumes in a manilla folder on her lap. This was the first time the kids got called into being offered a music contract. A few had meetings with agents, but not something like this. Carla was nervous for them. Alice an Ryan were warming up. They weren't too worried yet. Alice was very confidant with her song, and was planning on singing it for her next XFactor audition. She made it to the live auditions for the last season, but when the show came up, she had to pull out, which sucked, but here she was, possibly getting a contract anyway.

Ryan was ready. This was his first big audition, and this could make or break his career. They wanted him and Alice to come in as a pair, which worked, because they worked well together and their tastes in music were similar.

"Alice Mack and Ryan Carey, they're ready for you," The receptionist said. Ryan and Alice exchanged a smile, and walked through the hallways for their audition.

____________________________________________________________

Dene looked at his week planner. Closing night was soon. It was next Saturday. He wasn't looking forward to it. He had done shows before, but none of them ever seemed as amazing as this one. Maybe because it was his own. Maybe because it was hi favourite musical. Or maybe it was because the cast were like his kids.

He sighed, not looking forward to Saturday. His phone rang.

"Ed! How's it going?" He said into his iPhone. When Edmund replied, Dene prayed he wasn't dreaming. He was hearing the best news. Maybe not for him, because it would be stressful, but he was really excited for Saturday to come now.

"Tell the parents, but not the kids. Congratulations Dene. You deserve it," Edmund said as he hung up.

Dene just stood, gobsmacked. He grinned and got out his planner. He had a few dates to fill in amd a few calls to make.

____________________________________________________________

"I'm so proud of you Alice! It's just what you wanted!" Hayley said, hugging her best friend. She pulled down her shorts as she sat back down.

"I don't even know if we got it yet!" Alice said. Despite that, she stood up, "I think this calls for chocolate!" She said, going to the kitchenette to get her hidden chocolate in the cutlery drawer.

Hayley quickly yawned, "Not for me. I'm tried, I'm going to sleep," she said, praying that Alice wouldn't open the drawer.

Alice shrugged. She was slightly worried, she hadn't seen Hayley eat anything sweet for a little while now. "I'm still going to have some," she shrugged.

Shit no, Hayley thought as she quickly went to get changed in the bathroom.

Alice opened the drawer. She took out her chocolate. But she noticed that there was a pair of scissors in the drawer. She picked them up. How long had they been there for? She wondered to herself. They were heavy, overly shiny and very sharp.

She shrugged and put them back. She just put it down to lack of attention being paid to a drawer.