Arrivals

Chapter 3

Arrivals

Heather POV

It was sad to lose some members of the ensemble. We lost 6 wives and about all the male ensemble (most of them cared more about their sport than their theatre) but that's okay because there's still 10 girls in the ensemble and we've found replacements for the male ensemble, which is really lucky. And those guys who dropped out have promised to come see the show when it's ready. And we're more than happy to have them backstage or give them free tickets. They are, after all, always going to be a part of this cast family. I'm honestly happy with whatever happens, because for the first time ever, I'll be on stage at the Star. Having the time of my life playing Anna, with my best friend, Hayley, being my understudy. She was so upset when she didn't get Anna the first time around. Her callback audition with Lewis was perfect, so everyone was really surprised (including me) when she didn't get it. Though, now she'll have the chance to be Anna if I'm sick one night and I know she'll bring justice to the role.

I arrived in Sydney at the hotel with Hayley, our suitcases and bags that were being dragged along behind us were filled with our belonging, scripts and scores. Plus Hayley bought her sheet music collection for jam sessions later in the season (we're planning to do our own version of 'Beauty And The Beast' and I call Mrs. Potts). The hotel we're staying at is about a 10 minute walk from the theatre and a 15 minute walk to the city centre. It was perfection, with a stunning view of the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

We saw Alice, our best friend and a part of the wives ensemble, in the lobby of the hotel when we first walked in with Ben, our stage manager and May, she's like my little sister and she's a wife too. They were chatting a bit. Ben and May are very close, much like big brother and little sister. When May came into rehearsal one day crying, Ben was the first one to offer to beat up anyone who were to hurt her. In fact, Ben is like the big brother and the glue to the cast. He knew everything we needed to know and was basically the reason the show fell together so perfectly.

"Oh my god. We're here!" May said, hugging us. Out of all the girls in the wives ensemble, she's the youngest at only 14 years old. She's the sweetest looking girl with soft, wavy golden hair. Her big blue eyes were sweet and innocent and she always has soft, floating clothes that just make her look even younger. Sometimes I wonder if her mother dresses her up like a doll It'll be interesting to see how everyone reacts without parents around all the time.

We could barely reply before other cast members joined us out the front. People came along quite regularly after Hayley and I arrived. Before we knew it, everyone was here, except for the kids in the Children's ensemble, which we all thought was weird. Later we found out, that we're getting local kids so they could live at home. As sad as it was without our kids, we realised that this was the real world showbiz. We're not just a school musical anymore. We're in the real world.

And that's really scary.

____________________________________________________________

Everyone was talking in the lobby. All of us were super excited to be here. Dene had shown up with Chris and Carla, the other teachers who were involved in the show while it was just a school musical. I guess all three of them are staying with us for the season. There were three other people with them. One I recognised as Edmund Bumble, the others, I had no idea who they were.

After Dene, Chris and Carla had spoken to us and gave us our room numbers and entrance codes, the three other adults introduced themselves. Turns out that they're our producers of the show. They seemed okay. They just explained that tomorrow we had to meet in the boardroom for a full meeting on the next four months. Not too many people were fully listening because it was getting pretty late. I will be saving everyone's butts tomorrow when I tell them where we have to be and when (broadoom 2 at 1pm sharp). When we were finally let go, there was a rush for the lift. Myself, along with Genevieve, Hayley and Alice decided to stay in the lobby until the rush to get to the rooms died down.

"I can't believe our luck!" Genevieve, my roommate, said.

"Tell me about it! How amazing is this?" I said, excitement bubbling inside me. I was looking forward to all the things we'd already planned to do on our days off. Luna Park trips, climb the Harbour Bridge, go watch 'Loin King' at The Capitol theatre and go to the Power House. I couldn't wait for our free time!

"I wonder if any agents will come to see the show?" Hayley said. She's the only one out of the cast to have an agent, and even previous paid acting gigs. I saw this short film she was in, no one could've been more perfect for the role. However, she wants to be picked up by a bigger name agent. I hate it when she complains to me about her agent. At least she's got one!

"Hope so," I said. Honestly, Hayley is the better actor, yes. But I want an agent too, like Hayley, I want to be a performer, but she's certainly more passionate than me, and honestly, I'm the better singer, but when Hayley acts, she isn't Hayley anymore, she's her character. She's such a natural. Though, I don't approve of her method of acting, which is bringing her real life into her roles. I just have no idea how she does it.

Dene came up to us, "Come on girls, time to go to your rooms, it's pretty late already. We need you all back down here at 10am tomorrow for breakfast and the meeting," he said. We all nodded, wished him goodnight and the group of us went upstairs to our rooms. Excited for tomorrow to come.