Never In The Life

Chapter 8

Never In The Life

"Never, I mean NEVER have I EVER seen such appalling behavior. And from underage boys. I should kick you out of the show right now! Selfish, stupid, this could ruin us before we even stage!" Dene yelled. Alice had slipped off by now. Though she wasn't got for long because she brought a half-asleep Hayley with her.

Dene couldn't afford to kick them out so close to the shows run. There was no way they could get replacements in time. Besides, if this got out to any of the producers, bye bye Sydney, not just for the boys, but the whole cast. He knew they both had to be punished though, "You two are BANNED from the opening night and the open night after party! You're lucky you're still even in the show right now! We'll use your understudies instead. They can have the first show and they can be the ones who get picked by agents and managers..."

Lucas (Who was sober the whole time) was kicking himself by now. He had wanted an agent so badly, and now he's ruined his hope for the first show where most offers would come in (then and the closing night). Jack wasn't sober, so everything being said went through one ear and out the other.

"Dene, we promise that we didn't mean it!" Lucas said. Being the sober one, he thought he'd be able to wriggle out of it. Not promising anything for Jack, but he thought he could get a chance.

"No way. You two are even lucky you can still do the show. Maybe. Just maybe, I'll let you be in the ensemble the days you're not the leads, otherwise, you're missing out. PLUS you will be helping out the cast, anything they ask you MUST do. AND you will be cleaning up the after party when it's over. That might seem harsh, but I don't care! I am so angry at both of you right now! Is that understood?!" Lucas nodded grimly, listening to every word Dene said. "Do you have ANY idea what you risked by doing that?!"

Lucas thought about that. Yeah. It was stupid, but he didn't mean it. He was just having a bit of fun. And he didn't even get a shot yet! "No, we didn't. But I'm sober, so can I get a different punishment?" he tried.

Dene just got angry at Lucas' comment, "No. There will be no changing to this punishment! I am very disappointed in BOTH of you. Now clean this all up and I will see you at the school room tomorrow. Go!" Dene said. Hayley and Alice had run down the corridor by now. There was no way they'd get to their room in time without Dene seeing them, so they ran into Heather's and Genevieve's room. Alice was thanking the lord that she knew their passcode as the door opened the same time Dene walked out of Jack and Lucas's room.

Once Alice was sure Dene was gone, she and Hayley ran back into their room. There was no way either of them were getting any sleep for a while.

____________________________________________________________

The next morning Dene walked into the schoolroom. He had a full Dr. Pepper can in his left hand. In his right was a new contract for Jack and Lucas. That contract stated their punishment and if they didn't sign it, they would be kicked out of the show and two local boys would be taking their place.

"This is bull," Jack said to Lucas at the lunch break in between class and rehearsal. Today was their second last dress rehearsal before the show was put on for audiences. They had the weekend to relax before they were to be thrown into the three month long season, "I didn't even get THAT drunk! I'm barely hung over today."