Good Idea Bad Idea

Chapter 4

Good idea, bad idea

Alice's POV

Hayley's my best friend. She really is. So when comes to a choice of our roommates, Hayley was first (Next to Heather and Sara). Plus, Hayley is organised, efficient and clean, making her a great roommate. Oh, and she always manages to make up the best excuses when she needs them. She can the best person in the world as long as you're on her good side.

We got to our room on the tenth floor. I couldn't wait to see the view. We got to door 1001, our room and put in our passcode. Instead of keys for our rooms (which Dene was almost certain that we would lose, and with this cast, despite the protests from some people, he was probably right), we got given four digit codes. For mine and Hayley's room, our code was, 2512, which is pretty much just the date of Christmas. Our room was on the 10th floor, along with all the other rooms allocated for the cast. So there was a rush to get to the lift to get to our rooms. Hayley, Genevieve, Heather and I stuck around in the lobby to talk and to let the rush die down before we headed up to our rooms.

"I call this bed!" Hayley said, dumping her blue backpack on the bed to the far side of the room, next to the balcony. Honestly, I'm glad she took that bed, there was a crack in the curtains which would let sunlight through in the morning and possibly wake us up in the morning. I didn't say anything because I don't want to change beds.

"How amazing is this room?" I said, observing the whole room. On one side of the room, there were two double beds, one for me, one for Hayley with storage containers under the bed, there was also a folder on each bed with our names on them. On the opposite side, there were two oak wood desks with green glass lamps. Next to those desks, closer to the door, was a well stocked kitchenette, with a microwave, one hot plate, a fridge, a kettle and a sink, with glass shelves holding plates, glasses and bowls The mini-bar got removed for our stay (because, you know, we're all underage) but there was a gift basket and card on the little bench we had. Next to the window was a set of drawers with a TV and a DVD player on top of it. Near the door out to the hallway, was the door to the bathroom, which was all white and has shining sliver taps and handles. There was also a two door wardrobe next to the bathroom with drawers inside and a shelf for holding empty luggage.

Through the glass sliding door was a small balcony with a white glass table and three chairs. That could be fun after a show one night if we can't get to sleep. The view from the balcony though was the best bit. The blue harbour was a perfect view of the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge. I know that Heather wants to climb it while we're here, and I want to go to the Opera House too, so I was looking forward to the days we have off to go explore the city

Hayley went over to the gift basket. "Hey, it's from Edmund Bumble. The card says 'For our talented performers, to help you settle in. See you at rehearsals. Edmund' how sweet is that?" She said, inspecting the contents. There was everything. A bottle each of red and green cordial, packets of biscuits, lollies, chocolates, dried fruit, boxes of muesli bars, cake mixes, mints and chewing gum. There were also two little teddy bears with red ribbons around their necks. It was all perfectly placed in a brown basket and that basket was wrapped up in clear cellophane. "How sweet is that?" Hayley smiled.

I nodded. "Let's not open it yet, save it for something special," I said, knowing that if we wanted a mini party, it would be perfect time to bring it out.

"Aw! But red cordial..."

"No!" I said, quickly. "No red cordial for you Hayley!" One flaw about Hayley. Sugar makes her go nuts.

Hayley sulked, "Yes mum..."

I dumped my suitcase on my bed. I looked in the folder with my name on it. It was just our schedule which I couldn't be bothered reading right now, so I put it on my desk. I was ready to unpack. "Okay, to make it fair, we each get half of whatever we've got. So we each get one side of the wardrobe, one side of the set of drawers, and one half of the bathroom sink to put our stuff on. Sound fair?" I said.

Hayley nodded. "Sure, I'll pack some of my stuff in the drawers under the TV. It'll be nice to settle in. We have another 4 months of this ahead of us. Excited?"

"Of course! I can't wait for it all to begin," I said. I didn't really know if I'd meant it or not though. I love this stuff, I do, it's just, you know, all the pressure of the real world. Someone'll crack sooner or later.

Mark my words.