Or So They Thought

Chapter 18

Or So They Thought

The cast took one more bow. The audience whooped as everyone smiled over the sadness of the end of the run. There was almost no way they could imagine life without this show being a huge part of it.

Dene got a hand-held microphone and came on stage. He tapped it to calm down the audience. "Thank you, thank you. Speech time," he said as the audience turned silent. "These kids are no longer just performers to me. They're like my own children. And I couldn't be prouder of them. All of these kids before you tonight are going very far, so remember their faces, they'll be famous soon!"

The crowd whooped again. Dene let them clap, he wanted the kids to really remember this moment where they were all together. As a family for one last time. Or so they thought.

"I have a few announcements to share, first, Hayley Martin, could you come forward please?" Send said, ushering the girl forward. He put his arm around her shoulders, "Our very own Hayley has been offered the role of Belle from 'Beauty and the Beast' for their touring season, starting in Melbourne very soon," Dene boasted, Hayley already knew about this, but didn't tell the cast. They were all in shock. Their friend, their sister even, got offered her dream role. Hayley plastered a smile on her face. She didn't know what to think anymore. A wave of sadness washed over some of them. This was the last time they'd ever be on professional stage.

Or so they thought.

"And for the cast," Dene said, turning to them, grinning, "The journey isn't over yet. We're not saying goodbye. Because we've been offered an extended touring season beginning in Melbourne in a month. So pack your bags, we're off to Melbourne! Tomorrow morning!" Dene announced, the audience cheering at that. Some people were crying, others were in shock but one thing was certain.

Goodbye was a long way away.

Backstage everyone was in a state of half shock, half excited, the chance to go to Melbourne to perform was crazy and something no one saw coming.

Dene walked in. He couldn't be prouder of the kids. Ben and Clare presented Dene a bottle of wine, "Ben got this for you. It was supposed to be a reward for putting up with us for so long, but it looks like we'll have to get you some more," She said, hoping that Dene would see light in the situation.

Dene took the bottle, "I'll be in my room," he joked, "Thank you everyone! No time for an after party, you all have to pack your bags! We leave at 10 tomorrow!"

Everyone cheered. Except Hayley she faked a smile as more sadness washed over her. A part of her wanted to go, another wanted to stay.

But she knew that she had to go. Or else she'd never feel better.

____________________________________________________________

Hayley hugged the cast. One-by-one. Taking all the time in the world. Her dreams had come true, but she was upset that she had to give up the touring season to take it. Heck, it was amazing for the rest of the cast to be able to do the show for even longer than just the Sydney run, but she wished that she could join them. As they all got on their plane, she got ready to go home first, before she was off to Melbourne. She didn't have to be down there for a few more days, until she got stuck into rehearsals. At the very least the cast would be in the same city as her, which might make it easier to go from one show to the other.

____________________________________________________________

Melbourne was amazing. The whole cast loved it. They already saw promontions for 'The King and I' from the second they landed in the city. Not that it was too hard to see the bright red and gold colours. Their new hotel was a five minute walk from the theatre, which was a relief (more sleeping in) and the school room was in the hotel (so even more sleeping in).

Dene had already re-cast Hayley with a new girl who was local so she didn't need to live at the hotel for the Melbourne season. And for now she wasn't an understudy for anyone. Ben was to look after her at rehearsals until she settled in.

____________________________________________________________

Hayley settled into her new hotel with the 'Beauty and the Beast' cast. Everyone was so open and friendly to her. Maybe it was because she was the youngest cast member there, but she didn't mind too much. She kind of kept to herself most of the time. She spent most moments off-stage writing in her notebook.

In her hotel room, she pulled out a framed photo, a 'King and I' cast photo. She sighed, missing them already. She wished for nothing more than to live with her best friends again.

She unpacked her hotel room, being sure to hide her scissors carefully so no one would find them by mistake, like Alice did.

____________________________________________________________

"We got it!" Alice said excitedly to Ryan. The audition they had with Carla, it took three weeks but they just found out that they got the recording contract. The only issue was, they could take the contract OR continue the show.

There was no easy solution to their problems.

Or so they thought.

____________________________________________________________

"You need to find a stable place to live that is not a hotel room," The doctor said, looking at the papers in front of him. The director of 'Beauty and the Beast' was sitting to Hayley's side. He had a fright. How could they do the show without Belle? And how could she hide this secret for so long?

Hayley looked at her thighs, the scars hiding under her shorts were found by the costume designer, who knew this was serious. It was the only way, she thought to herself.

"Look, I'm going to get you to rent a flat. I think a more home-like environment will be better for you. I know the perfect place. But you will need someone else to live with you so they can monitor you and your eating habits."

"But who?" The director said.

Hayley looked down as guilt washed over her.

She wished she never took the Sydney season.

"I have prescribed medication for her. Two tablets before breakfast. That should hopefully prevent any...thoughts from creeping into you. I'll see you in a week and we'll look into a therapist for you." The Doctor said, giving the director a prescription for anti-depressants. Hayley forced a small smile to the doctor before she left.

She slipped her hands into her pockets. She could feel the scars underneath the fabric of her pockets. It was not just a relief anymore, it was an addiction.

She had a long recovery ahead.

____________________________________________________________

The End