Rehearsal: Day One

Chapter 6

Rehearsal: Day One

The buzz in the lobby from the kids getting ready for an all-day rehearsal could be felt from the grand door of the hotel. Hayley was holding her script in her black folder case. That folder case was her baby. It had a notepad inside, a mini diary, and her highlighters, pens and pencils inside, as well as her script and notes for the show. She had her backpack slung over her shoulder and her jumper was keeping her toasty warm before they had to walk in the cold. She was chatting with Lewis (The King) and Jack (Captain Orton). Because she was Anna's understudy, she really had to talk to the people she had to share scene with because apparently today the first understudies were getting to have a read through today.

Now that she was standing in the lobby and was actually awake, she was able to have a good look at the lobby of the hotel. The high rise ceilings were attached to cream walls. On the walls, were sliver picture frames with oil painting landscapes of different parts of Australia on them. Every so often, there was a glass table pushed up near the wall with a bunch of flowers on the top. Up to the left of the lobby were two dining rooms (One for students and booked groups, the other for the regular guests). The floor of the lobby was primarily honey floorboards except for the cream rugs around the black leather couches in the middle of the lobby. Just outside the hotel was a mini supermarket, one of the very few Starbucks in the city and a few other little shops. It was the ideal place to spend an extended period of time.

"How long is rehearsal today?" Lewis asked. He had gotten up about 20 minutes ago, so he was still half asleep. The only thing on his mind was a hot mug of tea and sleep. But that's his fault for not getting to sleep earlier that night.

"Till 5:30 tonight. We have to go through the show with the understudies as the leads," Jack said, his comment aimed at Hayley.

"I really hope I get to be Anna one night," Hayley was saying.

"What? You want Heather to get sick or break her leg or something?" Jack joked.

Hayley rolled her eyes at that comment, "No! Well, you know what I mean. Come on, let's be realistic. I did pretty well in the call backs, remember?" Jack had to agree. He did, however think that Heather deserved the role more than Hayley, as Heather was the better singer. But Hayley would do well as Anna.

"And it's impossible to not get sick over a four month period, right?" Lewis mentioned. Jack had to agree. He didn't want to get sick though. Even if it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Dene had a strong coffee in his hand. Near the hotel was a Starbucks, so he had already been down there for a Grande latte and lemon cake. This was going to be a very long day for him. "People, people!" He yelled over the noise of the cast. When everyone settled down (Which was a lot quicker than normal), Dene was ready to talk. "Alright! We're walking to the theatre. Myself, Chris and Carla already know where it is. Do not overtake me on the way to the theatre and don't fall behind Carla on the way. Here's the deal. We'll be walking you guys to the theatre and the school rooms near the theatre until the show starts. Then you have to make your own way to the theatre and school. We will be checking who is at the theatre by 6:30 every night, so if you're not there without an explanation, even if you just call us, you will be in trouble. Understood?" The whole cast nodded, Dene smiled and set off out the door, the group of teens following behind him.

The walk to the theatre was quite short and very direct. It would be quite easy to get from the hotel to the theatre every show, except at night when it's a little darker, but the cast will be going back in groups, one with Dene, one with Carla, one with Chris. The three adults were still wondering if allowing people to stage door was a good idea or not, though Dene really wanted the kids to have the experience on being on the other side.