Too Little Too Late

Ryland P.O.V.

"Just... stop, please." I beg, extending out my arms to embrace Brooke.

I can see that she's trying hard to avoid my eyes. She's breathing deeply, attempting to make sense of our entire situation. Actually, I'm barely aware of what's happened. It's all a blur, from the moment I walked to the drink table and the moment I left.

"Let me explain." I try, once again.

"Explain what, Ryland?" Suddenly, Brooke exasperatedly throws her hands into the air. "There's nothing to explain!" She pauses and rubs her face in frustration.  I long to soothe her, to apologize for everything I've said, everything I've done... but it seems like Brooke isn't up for much talking now.

"I know-" Brooke begins again finally meeting my eyes. "I know that you couldn't ever love me." She gestures between the both of us. Her tears are gone, but the look of sadness still coats her face.

"You're wrong." I immediately deny her, "It's not that I don't love you, Brooke. It's just-" I'm at a lost for words. I don't want to say anything else that I'll end up regretting. I don't want to lead her on, not again... but I definitely don't want her to think that I'm rejecting her.

Brooke understandingly nods at me and walks up to grasp my hands firmly in hers. Her action surprises me, and I stay silent. "I wouldn't ever ask you for something I know that you can't give me..." She smiles in her Brooke-way, which only makes me adore her even more. "I just want to know..." She trails off uneasily and maintains our eye contact. "Did you ever even want me?"

I'm stunned. The girl of my dreams is once again laying everything out in front of me. I want to say something. I want to sweep her in my arms. I want everything that's happened between us to go back to normal.

...but, sadly, we don't always get what we want, do we?

Brooke P.O.V.

He just stares at me. His ocean eyes wander over my face countless times in the moment of silence. I give him a half smile.

"Goodbye Ryland." I whisper softly before turning around and walking on down the drive.

My heart is pounding in my chest as I numbly climb inside Kaylee's mustang. I just lay back in the seat and let the rest of tears fall. I wanted so badly to just accept him again. To love him. But he obviously didn't want that. A knock on the window near my head jerks my attention back to my sucky reality. I look up to see none other that Ryland himself. Anger suddenly bubbles in me. I climb out and jump into the drivers seat, Ryland following at my heels.

"Just leave me alone okay. You already showed me you have nothing more to say for youself, Royal." I already hate myself for saying it.

It wasn't that it was a lie. I guess I just wish it was.

"Brooke please..." He begins, but I grab Kaylee's keys out of the glove box and put them in the ignition.

"No... just...wait ...I-" I cut hime off again. this time almost knocking him over as I speed away. All I can see is his shocked expression in the rear view mirror.

I realize a few things in the next moment. Why were Kaylee's keys in the glove box? How did I even know that? I just almost killed the guy I'm in love with...and I was speeding..fifteen over the limit.

Ryland P.O.V.

"I'll do anything you want, I swear."

"Anything?" Kaylee's tone of voice makes me re-think my ability to "whatever they want", but what's said is already said, and I guess I can't take it back now.

I'm about seconds away from going into full out begging mode. My hands are clasped tightly together, and all Kaylee, Louis, and Easton do... is smile. Seriously, all three of them have matching smirks on their faces, and it literally creeps me out at how similar they all look. I shake away the slight nervousness and fear, mostly of Kaylee, and ask once more.

"I need help getting Brooke back." I say it in my most innocent voice, hoping I'll be able to sway at least Easton to assist me. I know that apologizing to Brooke will take load of effort, but in the end, when we're waltzing off into the sunset, it'll be worth it. I know it will.

"Hmm." Kaylee mumbles and turns to the boys with a lifted eyebrow.

They stare back at her, apparently understanding exactly what she's referring to by one gesture. They nod to her at the same time, reminding me almost of robots at the way that they're acting.

"So, we've talked it over." Louis explains. I'm not exactly sure what "talking" they've done, considering I've been standing in front of them the entire time, but I just roll with it.

"...and we've come to a conclusion." Easton immediately finishes his sentence. Once again, robots, I tell you.

"We'll help you." Kaylee finishes and smiles at me reassuringly, but as always, her grin is wiped off, and she looks at me with disdain in her eyes. "...but only if you buy us ice-cream. I personally like Ben and Jerry's Phish Food." She adds, with a sinister glint in her eyes. Damn, I knew there would be something.

"Phish Food, I got it." I nod, hoping that that's all they want. Buying ice-cream for these idiots shouldn't be too hard.

"...and I want you to drive us to the mall tomorrow."

"Wait, what?" I loudly exclaim, drawing attention to us. "You can drive!" I point accusingly at her than at the Louis and Easton. "You all can drive!"

"Well, sometimes, we like to be pampered!" Kaylee rolls her eyes as if I should understand. "I mean, why wouldn't we want a Royal to drive us around all day." Louis and Easton begin cracking up at her pun as if they're her little idiotic minions. I swear, if they all hadn't grown on me these past couple of weeks, then I wouldn't be caught dead talking to them, forget about begging for their help.

Do it for Brooke. Do it for Brooke. It's all for Brooke.

"Fine!" I accept, throwing my hands in the air. "Fine, I'll drive you assholes around." They grin, obviously proud of themselves. "Now, please, help me." I lock eyes with Kaylee, in hopes that she's see how desperate I am and how much I really need her help.

"Alright." Kaylee smiles a smile that I actually believe and trust for once. "I've got a plan."