Flirting

Ryland's P.O.V.

Brooke and I are sitting side by side in the quiet library, supposedly "studying." Yeah, that didn't go very well, so instead, we're flicking eraser tops at each other, trying to avoid the death glare the librarian keeps throwing our way.

I bust out laughing when one of my erasers hits Brooke square in the forehead, which earns me another mean look and hush. I ignore it and watch a cute pout form on Brooke's lips. She's trying so hard to keep in her smile. She bites her lip, but I can see that her resolve is slowly fading.

Suddenly, giggle after giggle starts erupting out from her mouth. The cutest snort even manages to escape. I laugh even louder as Brooke embarrassingly covers her mouth. I'm sure we look like two drunk idiots right now, but Brooke's having fun... I'm having fun, and that's al that matters.

"Will you two, please, lower your voices!" Brooke and I snap our heads to the sound of a very angry librarian and lower our heads in an attempt to wipe the smirks from our faces.

She eyes us wearingly the finally turns away to give us space. We both roll our eyes at her annoying "teacher" voice and continue grinning and laughing at each other.

"So, Ryland..." Oh god, Brooke's looking at me with this... look... and for some reason, I have a feeling I'm not going to like what she says next. "My parents kind of volunteered me to babysit this kid in our neighborhood tomorrow..." I nod along slowly, urging her to continue. "...and I was wondering if you wanted to help me!" She rushes out the last sentence, and all I can clearly hear is the word "help." Sadly, as much as I want to pretend I don't have a clue what she's talking about, I know exactly what she means.

"Brooke." I start. "I don't like kids... at all." I emphasize my words, hoping she'll understand. I mean, it's not that I don't want to hang out with her... I just really, really don't like kids.

"Please, Ryland, please! I don't want to do this alone! I promise, after the kid leaves, we can go hang out or something! Please, I'm begging you." Her famous puppy dog look, the one I can't seem to ever say no to, makes it's way onto her face.

I sigh in exasperation, knowing full well that she's already won the battle. "It's jut one kid, right? One small, little angel who won't cry or try to hit me."

"...Yeah?" Brooke state her answer as a question, which doesn't reassure me considering she has this uneasy smile on her face. 

To babysit... or to not babysit?

The pros and the cons?

...Well, I guess babysitting with Brooke will give me at least a couple brownie points.

"Sure, what's the worst that could happen?"

Brooke's P.O.V. 

I literally spent the rest of the school day smiling like a fool. Originally, babysitting the Hane's little boy wasn't something I was looking forward to, but now that Ryland was coming over...I was pretty giddy.

"He doesn't even like kids. In fact I'm pretty sure he's afraid of them." Kaylee says laughing to herself as she puts her books in her locker.

"Shut up. That's the point. He doesn't like kids, but he's willing to help me out anyways." I smile at the thought.

Don't get me wrong, I'm remaining very cautious with him. I really don't want to get rejected by the same guy twice. But he just made me get this weird feeling. And then I'd giggle stupidly and smile too much. It had gotten really bad, as I mentioned, since our free period this morning.

"Must be love." Louis jokes patting me on the back.

Kaylee swoons dramatically and falls back into Louis' arms. I cross my arms, rolling my eyes at their mocking attitudes.

"No it's not. But you two are just jealous." I smirk.

"Of course we are. You get one of the hottest player boys in school. We are practically...wait for it....begging on our knees for him!" Kaylee busts out laughing and I honestly can't help but laugh too.

The memory of Ryland Royal on his knees before me, begging for forgiveness, makes me once again grin like a fool.

"Stop guys." I say taming the giggles and heading outside.

They high-five then chase after me. As I reach my car we say out goodbyes and Louis heads off to his car. Kaylee doesn't say anything as we get in my jeep. I just turn up the radio and for once let some sappy Christina Perri song play. 

"You love him." My head snaps up at Kaylee's soft words.

"What makes you say that?" I ask.

The actual statement makes me feel kind of nauseous. Was I? No. There was no way. I was too young. I wasn't supposed to even date until college. So there was no way I was possibly in love....Right?

"I know you, Brooke. You aren't just my best friend...you're my sister." Kaylee smiles softly.

Sadly, Kaylee is a extremely honest person. But still she can't be right. There's no way.

"Don't worry Kaylee...You'll always be my true love." I try to grin at her changing the subject slightly.

She shakes her head with a knowing smile.

"Just wait and see Harris....Wait and see."