Oath

Brooke P.O.V.

Indie music blasted from my speakers and the sound of my voice singing along carried through my messy room. Kaylee and I were preparing for Brittany's oh so exciting birthday bash this evening. Ryland had texted me and said that the boy's band was going to play some tonight so he'd just meet me there. I wasn't sure if that meant he had wanted for us to go together or not. 

"Earth to Brookie!" Kaylee yells over the music as she turns and shoves a cream, floral dress into my hands.

As much as I love dresses and parties (sarcasm my friends) I wish I could just stay home. But the look on Kaylee's face demands otherwise. So, I quickly get changed and began to straighten my hair. Kaylee looks killer in a sparkly black dress and soft curls. She meets my eyes with a smile and does a little dance of excitement.

"Even though Brittany's a total bitch, she is super popular. And I really hate to admit it, but I'm kind of stoked about finally being invited to an important party." Kaylee laughs helping me fix my beast of hair.

"My fourth grade slip and slide extravaganza party was important!" I say with a gasp.

"Well that's first of course. This party can be second. Next to my tenth birthday bowling party when you threw up in your mom's new purse."

I have to put down my eye liner for a moment to burst into a fit of giggles. Yes, I had actually puked in my mothers purse. No, it was not one of my finer moments. But hey, our parties make for some awesome memories. And I had a feeling tonight would too.

"On my gosh!" Kaylee exclaims, turning off the music abruptly and dragging me to the mirror.

For a minute I'm worried something bad has happened to my face. Which could potentially mean improvement. Then she smiles evilly.

"You look freaking beautiful, girl." Kaylee compliments, and we hug and start making strange squeaking noises.

This was going to an interesting night. 

Ryland P.O.V.

"Alright, I'm freaking out, dude."

Easton and I are currently pacing my room in the middle of having a nervous breakdown... well, at least, I am. Easton's actually pretty calm about the whole situation, and I'm not sure how.

"How can you be so chill at a moment like this?" I shout, grabbing fistfuls of my hair. "Do you not understand how I feel?"

"Woah, we're talking about your feelings now?" He responds in a tone that almost makes me want to punch him. I refrain and roll my eyes, deciding to be the bigger man and ignore his sarcastic reply.

"Dude." I start. "I want things to change." Of course, I expect him to immediately understand what I'm trying to say without me actually saying it... but obviously our buddy bond isn't as strong as I thought it was. "Oh, come on, you've been bugging me about her for weeks!"

"Oh, her." Easton dramatically stretches out the word and raises his hands in defense. "Sorry, I can't exactly read your mind."

I scoff in disbelief at his lack of sympathy for me and my emotions and shake my hands out, trying to rid myself of my nerves.

"Why are you so worried? It's not like she'll turn you down or anything." Easton states, getting that whole "love expert' voice he usually gets when we talk about Brooke. Normally, it would annoy me, but as of right now, I need all the help I'm going to get.

"I just-" I pause, trying to find my words. "I just don't want to screw it up again." I turn away from Easton in hopes of him not seeing the look on my face as I recall what happened all those weeks ago. 

"Well. Ryland, dude." Easton comes to stand next to me and pats me on the shoulder. "There comes a time when you have to make a decision." He stops and expectantly looks at me. I nod and wait for him to say more, but when he remains silent, I question him.

"Oh, no, that's it." Easton shakes his head and chuckles. 'I think I read that from a magazine somewhere." He trails off, probably trying to remember what magazine or if he just made that up.

"Your mom's?" In reply, Easton just glares at me. I throw a sheepish grin his way as I reach down to grab my shoes. He does the same, and for a few moments, we stand in silence.

"Seriously, dude, you'll be fine. What's the worst that'll happen?"

Brooke P.O.V.

"Are you sure this is the right house?" I question nervously tapping my heels on the floor mats of Kaylee's car.

"No, Brooke. There are just flashing lights, loud music, and tons of people here for no reason. Yes, this is the right house!" Kaylee says with dramatic hands waving as she gets out of the car. 

I take a deep breath and do the same. My hands quickly run through my hair and flatten out my short dress.

"You look fine." Kaylee assures linking her arm through mine.

I let her drag me up the driveway that is lit with twinkling lights  in the trees like stars. They make me smile thinking of Ryland suddenly. Then I once again start to get anxious. My stomach flutters as we walk through the double doors and into the huge livingroom. People are everywhere. I'm pretty sure I've never even seen half of them.

"Hey girls!" We spin around are met rather closely by Easton.

He pulls us into a quick group hug and gives us his lovely smile.

"Enjoying this annoying chaos?" He smirks.

"At least it's expensive chaos." Kaylee comments and he agrees with a grin.

I leave the two to converse while I explore the back yard. In the right corner in a decent sized stage with a full band set up. Tables with glitter and food cover the other corner and people are packed in every space. Where did Brittany even find half of this crowd to invite them?

"You look...lovely.." A voice whispers into my ear making me jump.

I spin around and smack right into Ryland. A blush nervously spreads over my made up cheeks. 

"You don't look too bad yourself." I reply scanning his outfit.

A blazer with a white v-neck and jeans. Pardon my lauguae but he looked damn fine. He grins at my words and softly takes my hand.

"I'll get you something to drink beautiful." He says shooting me a wink before disappearing in the people.

Leaving me standing on the porch steps, grinning like a fool.