Prolouge

Brooke isn’t sure if she is going to cry or throw up, but the feeling inside her is unpleasant nonetheless. Her feet make soft taps against the cement walk as she nears the pink blossom tree where they had first met. Her thoughts race as she waits for his arrival.

If she says these words, if she actually says them, it could ruin everything. Ryland could hate her, never speak to her again... or it could make everything so much better. He could love her and never want to leave her side. Doing this was never apart of her plans in her overflowing mind. It was always going to be him who said it, but she realized that maybe he never would, and she couldn’t go on living, feeling like this without him knowing the truth. Whatever the outcome might be she knew it would be better this way.

A light hearted whistle from across the lot lets his presence be known. Her heart begins to beat quicker. He comes over and hugs her tightly then steps back. He can tell something is wrong. There is no beautiful smile on her face, no happy glow beaming from her. There is tension and pain on her face that can’t be missed.

“Are you alright?” The question makes tears swim over her eyes; blinking them away she opens her mouth.

There is only one way to do this; just say it.

“I want…to be with you.”

She stands quietly, waiting patiently for a reply. He stumbles awkwardly over his answer, contradicting his courageous personality. Yes… No… Maybe. She desperately wants him to say something…anything, so she can decide if she needs to rush home and squeal or cry into her pink pillows.

A light breeze tosses her brunette curls so they frame her face. His hand reaches down to gently brush her hair behind her slightly red ears. Her heart is racing. Her limbs are numb. Her breath catches in her throat…and she takes his silence as the ultimate rejection. She mumbles a soft ‘okay’, trying to keep the hurt out of her voice. As she turns to walk away, already pulling out her phone to call her best friend, Kaylee, she feels a hand swiftly tug her back into place.

 "Wait..." A spark of hope ignites in her heart.

She turns around with a smile wishing the best. He gives her an un-readable look, making her heart race.

"What?" Brooke whispers softly, barely able to make out her own words from the pounding of her heart.

Ryland places a hand on her shoulder, his touch sparking against her skin. His fingers slide off as he sighs and shakes his head.

The regretful look on his face confuses her. She, and all of her friends, were positive that he felt the same. She reminisces of the night when they stayed on the phone until midnight, talking about absolutely nothing. She had been warned multiple times before. People who attended their school informed her of his player-like demeanor, but she chose to ignore their advice. Brooke truly believed that she, of all the girls in the world, would be the one to change Ryland for the better, but... maybe he was just a hopeless cause.

"I'm sorry but....what did I ever do to make you think I felt that way." His words lash against her like a whip to the skin.

Her worst dreams spinning into reality. How...Why...What had she done to herself. Her time. All a waste to simply be let down like the rest. No...She couldn't let him do that....not to her. She wasn't going to be just another girl.

"I'm sorry I ever thought you could care about someone besides yourself." Her own selfish feelings being replaced by her newly found hatred for his ego.

Shocked, Ryland stands rooted to the ground. Words unable to form in reply as she turns and walks away. The romantic in Brooke desperately wishes for him to once again tug her back into his arms, but the realistic side of her realizes that the boy standing behind her is no longer the man she fell in love with.