Heartbreak Warfare

*Brooke P.O.V.*

"Kaylee..." I sigh as I lean against the wall next to her. She makes a grunting noise from behind her locker as she removes some books. Mentally I am having World War III about whether or not to tell her about the banquet. She closes her locker and raises her eye brows at me.

"What?" She asks. I try to smile but it doesn't really work since I'm not at all near happy. I'm angry, confused, torn, chewed up, spit out, and stomped on...but not happy. Kaylee tucks some of her angled dark hair behind her ear before reaching up to place a hand on my shoulder. I sigh about to give in. Here it goes...

"Ryland almost kissed me at the banquet the other night." Her hand shoots back to her side and she makes a noise somewhere between a choke and a gasp.

"What do you mean almost?" She questions. I flail my hands in frustration, then put them behind my head thinking of a way to word this. 

"I mean he tried but I backed off right before he could." I say trying to make sense of this in my head. I can tell she can't quite either.

"But I almost let him...that's what I can't shake. I just hate myself for being so vulnerable. I can't let it happen again...ever." I finally say after a moments silence.

"That's right girl. You can't let this get to you. You can't let him think he can just snap back and everything's okay like every other girl he screws over." Kaylee explains.

I cringe at the end of her sentences. I couldn't....wouldn't be just another girl. I should hate him for what he'd tried to do to me...how he tried to play me.....right?

"Look just don't let him get to you. You is a strong white girl who don't need no man! Don't show weakness!" She shouts, earning us a few weird looks. I giggle, trying to shake it off, linking arms with her as we walk down the hall. 

 *Ryland P.O.V.*

"So..." A crash from beside me alarms me, Easton, the grinning idiot, leans against the locker next to mine with his arms crossed and his eyebrows raised.

"So?" I snap. I slam my locker door shut and turn to face him. I scowl at the amused look on his face. 

"So... how was last night?" He asks in a sing song voice. I scoff and roll my eyes at his teasing antics.

"Well, besides the fact that I accidentally ran into the girl's bathroom and hundreds of old ladies kept giving me dirty looks... I'd say it went perfectly fine." I exclaim.

Easton shudders at the thought of being trapped at an old people banquet, before composing himself with another grin. I try to decide whether or not to tell him about my almost kiss with Brooke, but right as I'm about to say something, Easton starts blabbering again.

"I overheard an interesting conversation today between Brooke and her little Asian friend. Apparently, Brooke locked lips with some dude at the dinner last night. Hmm... I wonder who it could have been?" I can see an evil glint begin to form in his blue eyes. I don't even think to stop him as he continues. 

"Oh, Ryland, do you have any idea who Brooke kissed? I mean, it kind of sucks for you since you're like... in love with her and all, but oh well, I guess she moved on quicker than we thought, right dude?" He nonchalantly shrugs his shoulder and raises his left eyebrow. I swear, Easton is seriously going to be the death of me.

I have no idea how to answer him, so without much thought, I proclaim, "Almost kissed. Brooke and I almost kissed. Not the full on mouth to mouth kiss but the barely touching kind of kiss, and she hasn't moved on at all. She would have kissed me if she hadn't... pulled away first..." I trail off, memories of Brooke jerking out of my arms fills my mind. I curse and shake my head as Easton just stands there.