Chapter 20

Kendra

It was about a week after I gave birth to the twins. Everything was going well. I was starting to move around. I was becoming more and more myself.

"The doctor said to wait a few more days, Love," Derek wrapped his arms around me as I looked over the orchard.

We were contemplating whether or not I should shift. My issue was I didn't want to leave the babies sleeping in their cribs, but Derek said he could take care of them. Derek's argument was that the doctor said my body wasn't ready.

"What can a few more days do?" I sighed.

"For a werewolf? A lot. Come on, you know that. Just wait," He breathed down my neck.

I shivered and smiled, "It's just been so long," I groaned. "Too long."

"I know, and you probably won't get a lot of chances to shift the next couple of weeks," He sighed as if considering letting me go.

"Maybe I should just wait . . . I mean for a little while longer," I sighed and walked over to the cribs which were side by side at the end of mine and Derek's bed.

"Marcus would have wanted you to shift," Derek breathed and then walked up next me.

"You don't know that," I argue, not meeting his eyes.

He laughed, "Oh, but I do. He would want to give you what you wanted."

"Not always," I breathed. "He just wanted to make sure I could still be a werewolf while I was with him."

"Yeah, so he would tell you to shift," Derek argued.

I sighed and walked back out onto the balcony.

Derek followed and wrapped his arms around me again.

"If you want to . . . go," He sighed.

Then crying came from inside the bedroom.

"Felix," We both breathed and then walked back over to the cribs. I picked up Felix in my arms and started to rock him. Soon his crying quieted and he fell back asleep.

Felix was always wanting to just be held, while Anthony slept through the night noiselessly.

Derek took him from my arms.

"Derek," I complained.

"Stop being so controlling. I can take care of the babies just as much as you can. You know that " He smiled.

"But, I . . ." I reached for Felix.

He stepped back out of my reach and I stepped up to him again.

"It's always Felix," He sighed not annoyed but as if he was just realizing it.

"What?" I stepped back shocked.

"It's something I have . . . observed from you. When Anthony cries and I take him from you . . . you have no problem with it. So I know it is not my parenting skills that you're worried about . . ."

"Of course, not . . . What are you . . ."

"No, listen," He demanded.

I sighed and stayed quiet.

"When Felix cries, I suddenly can't be trusted within ten feet of him. So, what is it? It's always Felix. You are protecting Felix from me . . . why?" The sadness in his voice instantly made me feel guilty.

"Damn it, Derek," I stepped up to him and quickly took Felix from his arms, "you just can't understand."

"Tell me . . . I am sure I can," He argued.

"It's a mother thing. Anthony is your baby. I feel comfortable giving him over to you because he needs love from his father as much as he does from his mother, but it's different with Felix. Felix doesn't have his father. He only has his mother so . . . it's not right handing him over to you," I sighed feeling ridiculous as I said the words aloud. "That might seem ridiculous to you . . ."

"It's a ridiculous excuse," Derek growled. "Marcus literally gave me his blessing to care for Felix. Why won't you let me? It was his dying wish for me, and you make me feel like I am useless when it comes to caring for that baby. Just stop," He demanded.

"Derek, I can't help myself. He's all I have of Marcus," I whimpered.

He walked up to me and took Felix from my arms laying him back in his crib. He then turned to me and wrapped his arms around me.

"Marcus is always with you. In your heart. He'll never leave you. You know that " He breathed into my hair.

"I miss him," I breathed.

"And you always will, but you have to be strong. For Felix . . . For Anthony. He wouldn't want us to be like this," Derek sighed.

"I just . . . I can't . . ."

"Go . . . shift . . . run . . . you need it," He demanded.

I didn't think twice. I turned and ran, jumping off the balcony.

My body tingled and shook as I flew through the air, and by the time I landed in the orchard my pale fur was glowing in the moonlight and I was on all fours. I didn't hesitate. I continued to run. I ran and ran. I wasn't even sure if I knew where I was going. Then I hit it. My father's grave and the cliff.

Of course, this is where my wolf would take me. This is where I always went to think and calm down.

I sat there staring at the moon for a little while, my white fur blew in the slight breeze and I felt free as I stared up at the full moon. I sighed and walked over to the tree where I had stored a simple nightgown. I shifted and changed into the floor length cream gown that gained a bluish hint in the moonlight. I stood at the edge of the cliff watching the moon reflect off the water.

Then the moonlight caught the silver ring on my finger. The black stone looked in its element as I held my hand up to the night sky and studied the ring. I smiled as Marcus's smiling face filled my vision.

Now you will have this to remind you of me. At all times.

He was right. I would use this to remember him by. I lowered my hand and millions of memories flew through my mind . . . every kiss, every touch, every word, everything Marcus had ever done for me. It all seem so far away . . . as if it was another life or a different time, but in all reality, it has always been right here with me. It always will be.

It was my destiny . . . it all was, from the very beginning.

While I was going through it, it had all seemed so confusing. I didn't understand the pain and suffering that I had to go through and all that Luna put me through.

It never made any true sense until now . . . now I know why I had to do this.

I was the Beta's daughter, I don't like to even count this because I never had any responsibility, but my father had to die. I had to become the Beta's sister so I would come here and meet the new arrogant Alpha . . . become his mate and turn him into the responsible man he is today. Then I had to be taken by the vampires . . . forced into being their Queen so that Marcus and I could create Felix. And so that Derek and I could create Anthony. Then last . . . Marcus had to die so I could take on the full responsibility of being the Alpha's mate.

This last one was hard to figure out . . . Why couldn't Marcus stay? Because I can't be the vampire's Queen anymore. They have a new King . . . strong and unique like his father was. Felix will take control of the vampires. I have no place there.

So, my full transformation from Beta's sister to Alpha's mate is complete.

I can't say I loved every second of it, but in the end, I have one of the loves of my life. Most of my family. And two incredibly beautiful baby boys that will have the weight of the world on their shoulders. And they'll be ready because their mother went through what she went through. She fought the world head on and she knows what to do.

I can't say life turned out as I expected it to be, but it's all I got.

Beta to Alpha.

Against the world.

But never alone.