Chapter 10

Kendra

The setting sun was shining in through the open balcony doors. Derek had the sheets covering him from his waist down. I had kicked my leg out from under the sheet and draped it across the lower part of his body so really the sheets were only covering my butt and the rest of my skin was bare. The warmth of the sun felt amazing, but could not compare to the warmth of Derek's touch as he traced my spine and he roamed his hand over my bare leg. My head was lying on his chest and I watched my own finger as I drew odd shapes on his shoulder.

"Let just . . . go," He breathed into my hair. As Derek had already proudly admitted to me, I no longer smelled of "leech" and he seemed more relaxed.

"Where?" I giggled, relishing in the feel of his skin against mine.

"Just away from here . . . anywhere." He kissed my forehead.

I got up on my elbow and looked down at him with a sad smile, "Derek, you are an Alpha now." I moved my hand up to the side of his face, "You have responsibilities to the pack and I have my responsibilities to . . ." I hesitated, catching myself before I said his name, "Him." I sighed as a chill ran down my spine, thinking about how hours ago I was in the same situation in Marcus's bed.

"You owe him nothing," Derek growled, I felt it rumbled through his chest. He hand tightened on my thigh, holding me closer to him.

"Derek," I sighed laying back down with my head on his chest. "You know that is not true."

"This is what I mean, though. I want to take you away . . . from all of this. Give you a break from all this stress. Take you away from him and all his kind . . . and . . ."

"Stop, Derek," I rolled away from him and to the edge of the bed where I picked up one of his button-up shirts from the floor and slid it over my shoulders.

"Kendra, please," He sighed from the bed reaching for me.

I stood and walked outside on the balcony.

I heard him sigh and then stand. He followed me and then wrapped his arms around my waist, resting his chin on my shoulder.

"You know I can't do that, Derek," I said in a clipped tone. "I can't leave him . . . no more than I could leave you." I absent minded moved my hand to his arms around my waist

"I am only thinking of what's best for you," He kissed my neck gently. "Do you think I don't notice how you seem cold when you bring him up, or how you don't have that look in your eye when you talk about him . . . the one you have when you look at me. I know that you are forced to be with him as much as I am forced to deal with it. You can't hide that from me, Love." He kissed my neck and held me tighter. "I only want you to be happy."

"Derek, that is just not true . . . and I was happy," I mumbled sarcastically.

"So was I, but we can't just ignore that fact that in just over 12 hours you have to go back to him." Derek sighed disgustedly.

I turned around and faced him, "But just think in two more days I will be back again . . ."

"And then you will be gone again," Derek growled. "This is not right. I can't . . . focus without you here. I can't do want I needed to, to protect our pack. I cannot be the best Alpha I can without my mate by my side. This will destroy us all," He states grimly.

"Please, don't say that," I placed my hands on his chest. "Let's just think of the positive, Derek. We only have a limited time together. I don't want us to be fighting."

"Of course," He smiled and then swept me into a bridal carry and brought me back to the bed. He laid me down and kissed down my neck as he slowly removed his shirt from my shoulders and threw it to the ground again. When his lips reached the center of my chest he paused and then sighed and sat up.