Chapter 4

Rowland

The plane ride was long and we were all tired. I still couldn't believe I had agreed to move to California. Derek didn't tell me the real reason he wanted us all here. He just said he needed the pack "to be together and whole in these tough times" whatever that means. All of our stuff was supposed to already be sent here. He never said anything about Kendra knowing that we were coming. Surely she would have found out about 7 new wolves moving into the house. She was supposed to be living with Derek. How would he hide that from her? Why would he?

I was in a truck with Alex, Zeke and Erick and some guard that picked us up from the airport. The others were in the truck behind us. We were driving through the orchard right now, heading towards the house. I remember it from when I was younger. My father would take me on trips here, but those stopped when my sister turned for the first time. He refused to leave again until his last trip here that ended with his life.

They parked in the garage and then led us into the house. We walked into a large open front room. There were stairs to the right with a hallway and another room to the left and another doorway in front of us.

"Wait here," The guard said in a deep voice and then walked through the room to the left. A few minutes later he walked back with a small, hot blonde wolf. She smiled brightly at me, "I'm, Elena, why don't you follow me and I will show you to your rooms," She walked by swaying her tight ass in her skinny jeans.

"Gladly," Zeke mumbled.

A wolf standing by growled deep in his chest. Elena stopped and put a hand on his chest, "Ethan," She warned.

He turned his glare from Zeke to her.

"Get someone to let Derek know they're here," She offered.

"Where is he at?" He asked his attention flashing from Zeke to her.

"In his den," She turned away then stopped and smirked and turned back, "He's with . . ."

"I'll wait a little while," He rolled his eyes and walked off.

"Follow me, gentlemen," She smiled at us and then turned back up the stairs.

After showing us all to our rooms Elena showed us to a living room-type-room and then walked out. A few minutes later breakfast was brought to us.

When we had finished eating Alex stood and paced.

"Where the hell is he?" He growled.

Alex and Kendra had had a little something. My dad was completely blind to it, but I wasn't it. It wasn't anything serious, but other than me, Alex had missed Kendra the most. I knew he was dying to see her because I felt like I couldn't breathe until I saw that my sister was completely safe.

"Alex, he has other things to do," I stood.

"I don't give a fuck about the Alpha. Where is Kendra?" He growled and stopped pacing.

Then Derek walked in. He was tall and intimidating. You could see the authority in the way he held himself. But my father taught me the same way his father taught him. I would always show my Alpha respect, but I will not fear him.

"Rowland," He looked right to me.

"Derek," I nodded. There was no "sorry for your loss", "how are you holding up", "it will get better". We knew our loss was already on our minds. There was no reason to bring it up. We just got to business.

"I know it was really sudden for me to ask you to stay here . . ."

"Where is Kendra?" Alex stepped up cutting me off.