Chapter 6

Kendra

"Now, Kendra," Marcus smirked as he stalked towards me.

I stood from the bed and quickly moved away from him, "Stay away from me," I snapped. "I came here to talk."

"Why do you have to be so cold? I mean you no harm," He sighed turning to me with a slight smirk.

"Then you won't mind if I stand here and you there," I sighed taking another step away from him.

"Fine," He rolled his eyes, stopping his advance, "Tell me what it is you want to say."

"This fight that you are starting does not need to happen," I demanded.

"Your kind attacked us first," He growled.

"No, that was me," I sighed. "Joshua . . . He got on my nerves and I couldn't hold myself in anymore."

"How could we possibly live in peace next to each other when we are in constant danger?" Marcus explained.

"You are not in constant danger," I argued. "I . . ."

"Either way that is not the instance to which I am referring," Marcus sighed, letting himself fall into a sitting position on the bed.

"Joshua said . . ."

"I told you. You shouldn't have listened to Joshua," Marcus rolled his eyes, "Joshua has been at my side for some time, but his trust in the wolves has left me with no choice but to not trust him. There was a different attack in which your father and former Alpha ordered an attack on my men without cause," Marcus glared up at me, "Explain to me why this does not deserve retaliation?"

"I don't know what my father's orders were. I can't speak for him, but I would believe that killing him and our Alpha would be more than enough retaliation for this supposed attack," I crossed my arms over my chest.

"There was no supposed attack," Marcus stood glaring down at me, "Your wolves attacked my patrolling guard," He growled.

"Fine," I waved my hand in the air, "Your men are dead, our Alpha is dead . . . therefore this fight does not have to happen," As I said the words I felt the pang in my chest. It was cruel of me to talk about my father's death and the Alpha's death in such an off-hand-ish way. The truth was I was trying to understand where Marcus was coming from. The attack on the vampires? There was no attack lead by the wolves. I would have known about this . . . Derek would have known. There was no reason for our fathers to attack the vampires unless they attacked us first. Either way, was killing our Alpha and Beta really just retaliation for killing a few patrolling guards? The logic just didn't make sense. These actions would only lead to a war. "You cannot claim that we owe you more than our Alpha and Beta."

"You have a new Alpha and Beta. Really you wolves are much too dramatic," Marcus sighed turning towards to the alcove with the books.

"Excuse me?" I growled storming after him, "I am not being dramatic. Our Alpha is more than just our leader, he is our heart. He means everything to everyone in the pack. Our Alpha is what holds us together and throwing a kid into that position does not solve all of our problems. And as for the Beta . . . he was my father. Even a soulless leech like yourself must understand that."

He sat himself down in the seat in which the stressed-looking vampire was seated before and lounged back looking up at me, "As an immortal," his eyes looked sincere. "I know the pain of loss all too well. That is why when you find friends in this never ending life it is vital to keep them close. A loss after 200 years of friendships stings just as much, if not worse, that the loss of a father or Alpha. As a mortal, I do not expect you to understand that." He sneered at me.