Chapter 2

Derek

I was standing over the graves of my father and the Beta. The two holes were dug and the caskets set beside them. My hands were clenched into fists and my jaw tight. I wanted to run away from here and go kick some vampire ass. That's all that was running through my mind. I couldn't take this sorrow and morning anymore. I didn't want to be sad anymore . . . I just wanted to be angry. Fuck my Dad and the Beta for leaving like this. Fuck them for throwing this responsibility on me. I wasn't ready for all of this bull shit.

No one was for sure, though, this is not what my father or Dean, the Beta, would have wanted. No, they would have wanted action . . . revenge, but instead we were holding a funeral and wasting precious time. The vampires wouldn't expect an attack so quickly. We needed to act now!

I heard the engine of a truck pull up.

Finally, the Bitch decides to grace us with her presence! Who the fuck does she think she is making me wait . . . make us all wait.

Tristan must have read me like a book because he squeezed my shoulder and I turned and glared at him, "Don't be so harsh. She's morning too."

"Whatever," I growled harshly, but I knew he was right. All I could feel right now was anger. It wasn't directed at anyone in particular. Just when I decided to tear my eyes from the graves the truck engine cut off.

I looked over to the vehicle to distract myself. Elena walked away from the truck joining the crowd, but I wasn't watching her.

Tristan had been talking about the Beta female like she was a precious jewel. Apparently in the half of the pack that she came from – over in North Carolina – she was like the acting Luna as the Beta had been the acting Alpha. So maybe he was a little biased in judging her. Either way, I wanted to see her for myself.

The wolf that drove opened the door and she stepped out.

I had to seriously struggle to keep my jaw from dropping. I will admit that it loosened quite a bit but did not drop. Under any other circumstances, it would have.

She was beautiful. Tristan had moved from my side and was now standing next to her. She was standing on the other side of the graves from me looking down at them.

People were whispering about her. Some males made some rude comments and I slightly growled, but I couldn't help myself. Even though it pissed me off that they were voicing their thoughts at a fucking funeral, I couldn't blame them. I was thinking the same things.

She had legs a mile long, curves in all the right places and healthy long dark brown slightly curly hair. Her dress did nothing to help either. It fit her so tight . . . my mind was racing with different scenarios where I was ripping it off. I tried to rein in the shutter of pleasure that shot through me. What is going on with me? I never have issues controlling myself!

Looking like that and being the highest ranking female in her pack . . . there was no way she didn't already have a mate.

Oh God, I was considering mating with a girl I was checking out over her father's grave . . . and my father's! This is definitely a new low!

I tore my eyes from her and glared back at the graves as they began to fill them in. I felt sick. My mind was racing and I couldn't sort out all the emotions rushing through my body. Rage, pleasure, hate, longing, revenge, passion . . . I felt so conflicted. I couldn't choose between wanting to comfort the Beta and wanting to wipe vampires off the face of this earth.

I watched them set the headstones wanting nothing put to pick them up and chuck them into the water. Fuck formalities and this whole process. Funerals were for the dead. They were for closure for the living . . . the only closure I wanted was fucking revenge