Chapter 9: Yakuza

Haruhi smiled and held up the grocery bag with big yellow smiley face on it

Haruhi smiled and held up the grocery bag with big yellow smiley face on it. "That was some sale."

"Yeah!" I agreed. "There's no better time to hit the supermarket than a Friday afternoon. Now all I've gotta do when I get home is clean and do some laundry." Just then I noticed a large group of people huddled around a fancy car. The car was a silver convertible with leather seats and chrome wheels. The license plates said 'Lucy 16'. "What's going on?"

I heard a man say, "Check out that car. Super rich."

A man who was barley familiar called out. "Lucy! Lucy-chan!" He was tall with dark hair and grey eyes. He waved his hand high in the air with the air of an embarrassing family member.

Crap! This guy's gonna blow my cover! Then I realized who it was. "Uncle-san! Why are you here?"

"This guy is your uncle?" Haruhi exclaimed. "He doesn't even know your name!"

"He doesn't know much about me." I whispered to Haruhi. Then I spoke up and said, "Please, Uncle, come with me." I bowed low, unsure how he had even recognized me. Man this can't be good! Why is he here? He should be back on the coast or something! Why did he come see me? I walked up to my apartment as fast as I could and unlocked the door.

Mrs. Landlady stopped me outside my room in the hall. "Excuse me, Mr. Light, but is everything all right?" she whispered. "He was driving such a fancy foreign car. He's not Yakuza, is he?"

"No, he's not." I shook my head. Yes he is and it's written all over him.

Mrs. Landlady grabbed my hand, flustered. "Do you want me to call the police for you?"

"No! He's not Yakuza! He's my uncle!" I shook her off and followed my Uncle inside. Haruhi followed us. "Haruhi Fujuoka, meet Nagasumi Michishio. My uncle... in a way." I turned to my uncle. "Okay, I covered for you. Why are you here? Mrs. Landlady was about to call the police!"

"Well that wouldn't have ended well." He rubbed the back of his neck and looked around. "I couldn't skip seeing the heir to my fortune on her birthday! Our family is rich. Why are you living in such a hovel?"

"Hey! I pay my own rent you know!" I put my milk in the fridge and gallon of ice cream in the freezer. "And my birthday is in three days. I'm sorry that running your 'organization' keeps you so busy but even you must have to have heard of what happened by now! Everyone in the sector knows! Even my friends know!"

"Yes about that. I need to know who your friends are." He said nonchalantly.

"As if! I don't care if you disown me! I won't tell you who my friends are.  They don't need to get involved with you or the rest of your people! Now I must ask you and your fancy car to leave." I got down on my knees and leaned forward. I put my hands flat on the floor and my forehead on my wrist. "You are ruining my plans, Uncle-san." I stood and looked at Haruhi.