Tasting The Rainbow {15}

“Addison, why is your brother so…blah?” I asked curiously as I sat in her room with her and Clapper. She giggled. “Blah? You have wonderful adjective use, Zelly.” I pouted. “Shut up,” I whined and she giggled more.

                She stopped and leaned back thoughtfully before shrugging. “I guess because of our parents.” “But your mom seems so nice!” I said with a frown. Addison nodded and shrugged again.

                “Our parents are separated. They got in a huge fight a couple months ago, and my dad stormed out. He’s been living with his mom ever since. It really hurt Adam. He tries to cover up the hurt by being mean, though. Well, not really mean. He’s just…scared.” She frowned.

                “Scared of what?” Clapper asked, raising an eyebrow. “Scared that everyone is going to leave his life. You know, like, his dad can walk out on him, and that means that anyone can. He doesn’t like getting close to people because he’s terrified they’ll hurt him or leave him.” She shrugged helplessly.

                “But what about Skye and Kobi?” I asked curiously. “That’s what I always say! But he has been best friends with them ever since he was little. I just think he’s more scared to be alone, so he takes a chance with them. Oh god Zelly; if they ever left him, he’d be destroyed.” Addison sighed sadly. “I love my brother, but he’s letting his fears ruin his life. He’s scared to let people in, but he’s terrified to be alone. It’s not a good combination.”

                “Damn. But why does he get so mad at your mom?” I asked, trying to figure out Adam as best I could. He wanted me to help him. I knew he wanted me to help him. But I couldn’t help him unless I had some understanding about what it was, exactly, that I was helping him with.

                “He’s mad at my mom and my dad. He’s mad at my mom for letting my dad leave, and he’s mad at my dad for leaving. It really hurt him, but sometimes he forgets that they’re my parents too,” she said with another sad sigh. “I love Adam, and I know he’s hurt, but I hate when he forgets that it’s not just him.”

                She twirled a piece of her hair around her finger. “He and dad were really, really close. I think that’s what crushed him so much. Our parents had been fighting for a long time, but Adam never dreamed that dad would actually leave. He and mom don’t talk anymore, and it pisses Adam off.”

                Clapper slung an arm around Addison. She smiled lightly at him. “That’s all I can really say. Sorry Zelly. Adam doesn’t like to talk about it, not even to me. He hates talking about our family. It just causes him too much pain.”

                I nodded in understanding. “I can see why. That’s rough. I’m sorry.” She laughed quietly. “It’s not your fault, and don’t worry about it. I’m sure everything will work out for the best.”

                Damn, Addison was so positive. Adam was the complete opposite of his sister. It was weird to think that they were brother and sister. Other than their looks, they really weren’t alike at all, at least from what I could tell, and had seen.

                “So…what do you guys want to do?” Addison asked after a few moments of thoughtful silence. Clapper and I both shrugged. “Whatever,” we said at the same time.

                We glanced at each other and Clapped sighed. “Damn. China and America are on the same wavelength.” I pouted. “You know Clap, you’re not a Native American or anything, so shut the fuck up. You’re not all American!”

                “Zelly, I was made in America,” he said, raising an eyebrow at me. “I consider myself all American.” “I was made in America too!” I whined.

                He smirked. “That’s what you think,” he said with a wink, and I rolled my eyes at his dumbass. “I need new friends,” I said miserably and Addison laughed at me. Clapper pouted and shoved her playfully. “Shut up, ya blonde bimbo.”

                “Fight me!” she said jokingly. He tackled her back on her bed. “Don’t give her the Clap!” I cried in horror and Clapper pouted and flipped me off. “Shut up! You’re just jealous that you bitches are virgins.”

                I snorted. “Clapper, I’d rather stay a virgin until I’m married than get the fucking Clap when I’m 14 years old.”

                Clapper sighed. “The sex part? Awesome. The STD part? Not so much.” Addison thumped him in the back of the head. “Bad Marco! Keep it in your pants!” He pouted again. “Tight bitch,” he grumbled and crossed his arms childishly.

                “Come on! Let’s go eat some dinner. I’m hungry,” Addison said and stood up, dragging Clapper with her. I jumped up off her chair and we left her room.

                “So what do you guys want to eat?” Addison asked curiously. “I don’t c-” But I was cut off as something tripped me and I went tumbling down their stairs painfully.