Tasting The Rainbow {11}

***Adam’s POV***

                The door to my bedroom opened and I sighed in annoyance before turning around to face whoever it was. Addison stood there with a frown. “Can I come in?” I shrugged. “I guess,” I said flatly and she came in and carefully shut my door.

                She sat on the end of my bed and looked into my eyes. “Adam, don’t yell at mom. I know what you’re going through, but you don’t have to take it out on her.”

                I narrowed my eyes at her. “I hate how you guys act like you know what I’m going through. You don’t.” She stared at me like I was stupid. “Adam, I’m going through the same god damn thing!” she cried. “You’re my brother! We’re going through the exact same thing! Maybe mom’s not, but I am!”

                She gulped and shook her head violently. “You can’t just close people out of your life because of it Adam!” “Shut up Addi. People leave,” I hissed coldly. “Kobi and Skye could leave, but you still trust them,” she said quietly. “Because I’ve known them for years. And I’d do anything to make sure they won’t. This Zelly kid? Fuck it. I don’t know him. I don’t want to. Why would I trust him?”

                “Because he’s nice, Adam! He wouldn’t hurt you. I promise,” she begged. “People break promises,” I spat. “Now get out of my room. I’m not befriending this kid or whatever.”

                She glared. “I invited him over. Just him, not Marco. Come down and hang out with us. Get to know him.” I sighed in annoyance. “Addison, get it through your head. I don’t give a fuck about him. I don’t want to be friends with him. I have Kobi and Skye, and I’m happy with them.”

                Addison opened my door and paused. “They didn’t mean to hurt you, Adam. They really didn’t,” she whispered. She left my room and shut my door. I ran a hand through my hair as the doorbell rang, meaning that Asian kid was here.

                I got up and put my iPod on. I stuck a headphone in my ear and turned the volume up on JJ Demon’s “The Rain” before heading downstairs to get myself some food.

                Addison and Zelly were sitting at the kitchen table laughing. I glanced at them before opening the fridge and digging around for something. I ended up heating up some leftover chicken riggies. I sat down across from Zelly and quietly ate my food.

                “JJ Demon. Live Backwards was amazing,” he said. I glanced up at him, trying to mask my curiosity. “You listen to him?” Zelly nodded. “He’s my favorite. I could keep his 2 albums on repeat for the rest of my life and never get sick of them.” I nodded in agreement. “He’s my favorite too.”

                I know what I said to Addison but…I talked about JJ Demon whenever I got the chance. He was just so incredible. And so few people had ever even heard of him. I loved talking about how awesome his music was.

                “What’s your favorite song by him?” Zelly asked. “Yellow Balloon,” I answered without hesitation. I absolutely loved that song. “What about you?” “F(r)iends. It was the first song I ever heard by him, and I fell in love with it.”

                “Who else do you listen to?” I asked. Music was my thing. Once you got me talking about music, I could talk for hours. And I didn’t like talking, so that was saying something about my love for it. But I only really liked meaningful stuff. Oh sure, I could enjoy just some catchy, fun stuff. But I loved music that had meaning.

                “Makeshift Romeo, Between The Trees, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, Seether, Simple Plan…anything with meaning to it,” he said with an affirmative nod. “Damn, me too,” I said quietly. “Wait, tell me you listen to Makeshift Romeo?” he asked and I nodded. “Of course.”

                He laughed a little. “Damn! Most people have never heard of them! They’re not even on iTunes!” I nodded. “I know. I downloaded their stuff online for free.” “Me too,” he said.

                “You’re gay, aren’t you?” I asked. “Adam!” Addison cried in shock. “That’s rude!” “It’s a fucking question. It’s not rude,” I grumbled. Zelly laughed. “It’s fine Addison. I don’t care. Yea, I’m gay and proud as fuck to be.” “Do your parents know?” I asked, eyeing him.

                He nodded. “Yea, I told them when I was 13. It took them awhile, but they’re fine with it now.” “Are they together?” He nodded again. “Yea, my parents are together. They have been for 20 years.” “Got any siblings?” “My little sister, Rose. She’s 6.”

                He was watching me curiously, probably why I was asking all these questions. Hell if I knew why I was doing it. I was just…curious. Which was odd. I usually didn’t give a flying fuck about peoples’ personal lives.

                “Adam,” Addison said nervously. “Stop questioning him.” Zelly shrugged. “It’s fine. I don’t care.” “Ever fucked anyone?” I asked. “Adam!” Addison said, looking at me like I was crazy. “That’s not something you just ask someone!”

                Zelly met my eyes steadily. “Never. I’ve never sucked dick, either. Just made out. That’s the farthest I’ve ever gone with someone.” “Was it a boy?” “Yea. Two boys. Kenny Burk, freshman year, Ryan Ingles, junior year. I was single all sophomore year.”

                “What about this year?” I found myself asking. Why the fuck did I care so much? I swear he was blushing a little now. Unless his face had been that slight shade of pink before. I couldn’t even remember, I had been so fixated on his eyes. They were deep and dark, as if no light were allowed in them.

                “I’ve been single this year. Ryan and I broke up over the summer, about a week after exams, and I never got with anyone after him.” “Did you want to?” Fuck. Why had I basically just asked some random kid who they liked? Like I gave a fuck?

                Now I was positive he was blushing. “Uh…yea. I like someone.” “Who?” I asked, curiosity getting the better of me. Shit, I had a huge mouth today. Shut up Adam. Just stop asking questions. Ignorance is bliss, right? But still, I wanted to know.

                He licked his lips and shrugged. “Just a guy.” I realized he wasn’t meeting my eyes anymore. I looked at him with question in my eyes. Who the hell could he like, that just saying the name to my face could make him blu-

                Oh.