Chapter 14: Betrayal

Dedicated to TheTimeLady for being a lovely supporter! :)

-----

Chapter 14: Betrayal

"So what happened after I ran out of that bathroom?" I asked Jake. "I never got to know."

Jake and I were only on our first week of staying underwater in the headquarters, and I was beginning to go mental already.

"Well Miranda just looked terrified, and when I asked her what happened, she told me that she started a fight with you that she thought she could never win." Jake sounded like he was lying, but I figured he had no reason to so I accepted the story.

"And she just left like that?"

"Yeah, without another word."

"What a pity," I said sarcastically. "I was just getting to know her."

"My parents were shocked that she left so abruptly too," Jake admitted.

I took a sip of my ice blended drink, staring at the excessively humongous clock that hung on the wall of the cafeteria, bored out of my wits. That was how Jake and I had been spending the past week - making small talk, eating and sleeping.

"Do you think we could go up to the surface and-" Jake started but never finished because I interrupted him way too eagerly.

"Excellent idea!" I shouted and stood up, unembarrassed since I really wanted to get out of this place as soon as possible. "Let's go now!"

Without a warning, I grabbed Jake's hand and pulled him to the exit.

"What do you want to do once we're up there?" I asked as we walked down the path to the double doors that led to our freedom.

For some reason, Jake looked around uneasily and his voice sounded like he regretted his choice of going up to the surface. "Surfing?"

I shrugged to express that I didn't mind the idea. "Are you having second thoughts on going up?" I asked, stopping in my tracks and turning to face him.

Jake hesitated for a split second before he forced a smile on his face and shook his head as if to clear a thought. "No, I'm fine."

We reached the one-way door where two guards stood staring straight ahead even as I tapped my cars against the sensor and the both of us stepped through. Sometimes I wondered if those people were real or if they were just very realistic mannequins holding rifles at their sides.

The both of us emerged in a square, pitch black room that had just enough room for ten people to stand hip to hip. I walked forward into the abyss, reaching forward to the wall directly in front of me.

"What kind of room is this?" Jake shuffled towards me, trying to stay close, not that you could be far from anything in a room this small.