Chapter 10: The Holy Land

Dedicated to racingheart who I wish finished her Wattpad story but sadly did not >_< hope you do it someday because you're an amazing writer!

-----

Chapter 10: The Holy Land

"Tell me why you guys chose this place again?" Jake whispered to me as he eyed the guards milling the area. There were more officers in sight than actual passengers.

"It's safer than everyone else in the world assumes," I replied. "Just look at the number of guards here."

"That just means that it's unsafe here that's why there is a need for so many guards to protect this place!" Jake exclaimed.

"No," I retorted while placing my bag on a conveyer belt to be scanned by the authorities. "It just means that they have secrets to keep."

I followed Brady who was in front and stepped through the metal detector. Hearing no alarms go off, I hoisted my bag which waited for me on the other side of the belt over my shoulder as Brady and I waited for Jake.

It was nearing eleven at night in Tel Aviv where we landed so we decided to just head to a hotel nearby to rest till the next morning. Since the land of Israel was untrusting and very cautious, it did not engage in random business negotiations from countries outside. As such, for once, we did not have a hotel to stay in and had to find one on our own. We were probably not allowed to land in their airport as well, but there isn't something some money can't do.

"Also, to answer your question," I said to Jake after he cleared the metal detector. "Whoever's chasing you probably knows about us, so being here will hopefully throw them off since we don't have a base here."

Jake nodded in understanding. "Fair enough."

Boys, always the oblivious ones.

--

"You two take the beds and I'll sleep here beside the door," I ordered once we were in the hotel room.

We were fifteen kilometers west of the airport, settling into the only room available.

"What?" Brady exclaimed. "You're the lady here, shouldn't you be the one on the bed?"

"I'd rather not," I replied and placed our bags on one side of the room. "I'll keep guard by the door in case anything happens."

"Yeah, sure." Jake mumbled sleepily as he plonked onto the bed.

Brady reluctantly followed suit, gazing at me as if to offer the bed space to me once again. Why do guys always underestimate us? I'm pretty positive I could take the floor better than either of them can. It's not as if I've never slept on the floor before, let alone a carpeted one.

I lay still in the darkness, my hand wrapped around my handgun as I leaned on the plaster wall behind me. I exhaled and tried to go to sleep, but somehow I wasn't tired.