Chapter 2: Escaping

Dedicated to crazycookie321 who was one of my first few Wattpad friends :D

-----

Chapter 2: Escaping

"We're here." Henry, the pilot of the private jet I was flying in, announced, jolting me out of my slumber. He taxied the plane alone the guiding lines on the ground until it came to a complete halt.

I stifled a yawn and stood up to stretch my legs. A fifteen hour flight was not a good idea. On the bright side, at least the weather's nice. The sun shone brightly into the plane, illuminating the mess I had created while studying the case.

"Remember the plan, Henry," I reminded him. "I'll go get this Jake guy and you keep your hands on the controls as be ready to take off as soon as possible. I'll take ten minutes tops." Henry simply nodded in response and gave me a thumbs up.

It was mid-October and a cooling breeze whipped through my hair as I stepped out of the plane. Armed with my favorite ankle holster and taser, I descended the stairs onto the Tarmac and made my way into the airport.

Wearing the most innocent face I could muster, I entered the building to be greeted with cool but abnormally dry air. I wasn't a fan of air-conditioners. To be honest, the airport was one of the finest I had seen in my life. High above my head were glass panels that allowed maximum natural lighting and made the place look much more spacious. Mirrors were placed at odd angles to reflect the light even more to create an illusion of a light and airy feel.

With my long, wavy brown hair tied up in a ponytail and my doo doo colored eyes, I gave the impression of any other wandering tourist in the airport. My navy blue jeans and black blouse helped me blend in further, which I was grateful for. There were a couple of tourists milling around the liquor and clothes store nearby and I noticed that most people were moving towards the right wing of the terminal.

I headed in the opposite direction instead, towards the left wing of the airport, having been alerted of Jake's exact whereabouts. I entered a deserted corridor that looked like it had not been used in ages. Bits of white paint were peeling off, and even the plastic potted plants were drooping from the depressing vibe the place gave off. The lighting was in surprisingly good condition but the chairs that lined one side of the corridor displayed signs of mishandling from the numerous ones that were toppled and some even had broken legs. Poor chair, someone must have been furious to do that to a faultless chair.

I creeped silently towards the seventh door where I was informed Jake was held hostage in. My sneaker-clad feet padded softly on the ground whilst my right hand involuntarily reached to wrap around the taser in my right pocket of my loose jeans. The place had seemed eerily quiet at first, but as I approached the seventh door, I could distinguish a few voices coming from behind the door.

I walked right up to the door and put my ear to it, being mindful to keep my eyes on the entrance of corridor in case anyone walked past. I listened closely, figuring that there were maybe two or three guys in there, nothing I couldn't take care of.

I drew in a breath before vigorously turning the brass knob of the door and sending the squeaking door banging unattractively on the wall behind it. That one's going to leave a dent.

I swept my gaze across the room, and indeed there were three Chinese men in blue uniform in the three chairs at the farthest corner of the room, close to where a whiteboard hung with a horrible drawing of a stick man with a noose around his neck. I guess everyone gets bored sometimes.

The guy closest to me was bald with an unusually long nose and the man beside him was a little more rotund than the others, with a pair of round spectacles similar to Harry Potter's set on the very end of his nose. The last guy in uniform had two religious bracelets on his left hand and looked to be taller than the other two. I also noticed that Jake was not wearing the geeky glasses he had on in the newspaper article.