Chapter 5: Day In The Hotel

Dedicated to Wan Lin who stalks me more than she admits. :D

-----

Chapter 5: Day In The Hotel

I slowly drifted into consciousness and I cracked one eye open at a time, allowing my vision to adjust to the sudden lighting gradually. Sunlight was streaming into the room generously through the crack between the curtains blocking the view outside the window.

I combed my fingers through my hair as I turned my body over to the other side to look at Jake's sleeping form. He was still sound asleep, probably knocked out from not having proper sleep for the past few days. I got out of bed, deciding to start the day afresh with a cold shower. Cold showers were my thing, I don't know why anyone would oppose to them. I feel like they help to wake all my nerves up on a lazy day like this one. Why people would prefer hot showers, I will never know.

I took my time showering before getting out of the bathroom and settling on my bed for a short read while waiting for Jake to rise.

--

I noticed a small movement towards my left, and I knew that Jake had just woken up.

I stared at the clock. 10:39AM. It's been 3 hours already? Didn't know reading could help you pass the time that quickly.

"Finally decided to wake up?" I teased nonchalantly.

"How long have you been up?" He answered my question with a question of his own, his voice still thick with sleep.

"Three hours." I replied.

"Jeez! That long?" He sat up, surprised. "Why didn't you wake me up?"

"Didn't want to awaken the kraken." I stated, my eyes still scanning my phone screen but my brain not processing a single word on the screen.

"What? How am I anything like the kraken?" He sounded offended.

"Eh. Pretty much in every aspect. Your face, your personality, your attitude..." I trailed off, seemingly uninterested in the conversation anymore, when in actual fact, I was yearning for him to say something.

"Are you sure?" Jake's voice was scarily close to me now, and I jumped slightly at his closeness. He sat himself on the edge of my bed and pushed me towards the other side.

I placed my focus on my book, ignoring him. I was glad that my hair was long enough to cover up the color on my cheeks which were obviously affects by his presence. Stupid hormones.

"Are you sure?" Jake repeated his question.

I took a deep breath to calm myself down before answering. "Yep. A hundred percent."

He blew a disappointed breath at my hair, my answer evidently not the one he was searching for.

"Maybe you should start by brushing your teeth."

--

"What are we going to do today?" Jake asked.

I shrugged my shoulders. We had just finished our breakfast ordered from room service and were trying to decide our plan for the day. The agency had told me to keep Jake in Beijing until they could find a pilot to fly us off someplace else, so we essentially had a free day. I was content with just lying in bed all day with my phone in hand, scrolling through story after story. Jake, on the other hand, had other plans.

"Why don't we visit the arcade?" He suggested. "I saw it downstairs while we were coming up yesterday."

"No." I simply replied, too lazy to move my arse out of bed.