Chapter 12: Drama

Dedicated to Juribb for voting! Thank you so much (:

-----

Chapter 12: Drama

I pushed open the office door, allowing Jake to enter first. We had just received instructions to pay a visit to Jake's parents, and to be honest, I was more than a little jittery. Why they had wanted me in the room as well, I had no idea. Technically, I had already ended my mission and I should be allowed to go home.

Did I take too long on the job? Are they going to fire me? What if they found out that Jake knew the truth? They would definitely assume that I had supplied all the information to Jake. I gave myself an unnecessary heart attack as I stepped into the threshold of the room.

"Jake, my baby! There you are!" Jake's mother exclaimed affectionately while rushing towards him with open arms. Behind her, Jake's father stood up from his swivel chair and made his way over to the embracing duo, a smile on his face the whole time.

Even Jake's grandfather was here, the head of this entire company. I took a step backward, suddenly feeling very out of place. I was merely an agent, I doubt I had the authority to even stand in a one mile radius of any member of this family. That's when I noticed a pair of black eyes cold lock staring at me. This set of eerie eyes belonged to a girl I had never seen before. Her blonde hair was tied back in a ponytail and her black dress matched her eyes but even the beauty of the dress could not cover up the pure hatred in this girl's eyes. She sat frowning at me, her eyebrows crinkled to express her annoyance. This girl was feisty.

Bewildered as to who this girl was, I backed up to the door, ready to run out of the room any time. I know, I know, I am an agent and I shouldn't be afraid of crazed women who acted like delirious teenagers, but don't blame me, I'm pretty sure you would run too if you saw the hatred in her eyes.

The girl smoothed out her hair and crossed her legs, putting both hands on her kneecaps. "Hey Jake!" Her voice was creepily cheery. Well at least her eyes have now stopped staring at me and were directed to Jake instead.

Both Jake's mother and father let go of him and parted to allow him to see the speaker. "Oh hey... Miranda." From the tone of his voice, Jake was probably more confused than I was as to her presence.

"Come and sit next to me, boyfriend." Miranda put the emphasis on the last word while glaring at me for a split second. Ohhhhh, crazy ex alert, I'd better leave.

Before anything else could happen, I pulled open the door, already halfway out before announcing my departure. "I think I should just get going, I'll be around here if you need me."

I shut the door, but not before I heard Jake's mother utter something. Well, too bad.

I strode down the hallway quickly, meeting up with Brady who was waiting for the both of us on one of the chair provided outside the office.

"So fast?" Brady questioned, looking up from the game of candy crush he was playing on his phone.