Chapter 3: Plane Ride

Dedicated to rawrimapossum717 for being an awesome person :))

-----

Chapter 3: Plane Ride

"So... Jake right?" I said awkwardly while scratching the back of my neck. We had just taken off from Shanghai and were now headed to Beijing.

I took a seat in one of the armchairs and buckled my seatbelt as I felt the plane increasing its speed, getting ready for takeoff. Jake had placed his backpack that seriously weighed a ton on the floor beside him and he himself was settled in a burgundy recliner directly opposite me.

"Yup, I'm Jake." He responded, offering a slight smile. "Thanks for saving me back there, and you are...?" Jake's voice was deep but laced with exhaustion.

I studied his face carefully. Jake was even more good-looking in real life, and it took me everything I had not to get lost in those azure eyes. His nose was just the right shape, and his lips were a perfect shade of pink. His chestnut brown hair was luscious but with a hint of greasiness. Are you sure he's not photoshopped? I noticed that he had heavy eye bags under his eyes. It had only been two days, what did they do? Make him drink coffee 24/7? I stopped short my conversation with myself in my head and finally gave him a reply.

"Elizabeth, but that's not important. Did you not get any rest at all?"

"The guards changed shifts every eight hours, and every pair or trio of them passed their time by talking non-stop. Not a very conducive environment to sleep in. Besides, the table was too hard to sleep on."

"Spoilt rich kid." I commented, rolling my eyes.

"Hey! I'm not a kid okay!"

"Well you sure act like one."

"Whatever. Who are you anyway?"

"Why did you follow me if you didn't know who I was? For all you know, I could've kidnapped you and shipped you off to Timbuktu by now." I teased.

"I... I don't know. I just felt like I could trust you, I guess. Besides, I was on the verge of going crazy and banging my head against all four walls of that room if it wasn't for you. Anyway, you didn't answer my question. Who are you?"

"A fellow homosapien."

"Jeez, just answer the question, will you?"

"How 'bout... no." Truth be told, it wasn't that I didn't want to tell Jake. It was stated in the rules that I wasn't allowed to for some odd reason. Usually, the client had the right to know since they approached us in the first place, but this time, strict instructions had been given to me not to. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that he was Mr. Parkson's grandson.

"You're impossible, you know that?" Jake raised his arms in defeat.

"So I've been told." I smirked in his direction.

"What's in your bag?" I asked the burning question at the moment.

"Err... books?" A faint blush crossed Jake's face.

"Seriously?" I choked out, not able to contain my giggles. So I was right after all, he did bring the encyclopedia. "You're being chased by the US government and so the first thing you thought to bring on your escape plan was books?"

"Shut up! Books are good for you! And Inferno is pretty much one of the best books in this generation." He mumbled.

"Never heard of it."

Jake seemed offended by this statement. "How can you not? Dan Brown is literally one of the best authors around!" He said, taking the hard-cover book out of his bag.