Narrow Escape

A young princess imprisoned in her own palace, patrolling guards and advisers walking the corridors with watchful eyes, not leaving any corner or possible hiding spot untouched. Escape was the only word that you craved. Wanting to take a whiff of the calming breeze of mother nature, encountering and forming new friendships. The outside world obscured by the cobble walls seemed like an illusion, a dream, yet it was something you wished to enter every night. If only wishing on a shooting star actually worked, you'd be in your happiest reality.

The wood creaked under the weight of your footsteps, cringing at the sound. 'Couldn't we have bought tiled floors instead!' You thought, tip toeing down the unpleasantly silent hall. You crouched down behind a nearby display case, trying to calm your erratic breathing as the squeaking sound drew closer. Your vision became tinted with royal blue, feeling your body diminish, reappearing back inside your cluttered room. You huffed in disappointment, falling backwards into a cozy chair, sending the ebony-haired male a half-lidded glare.

"f-n, what did I warn you about escaping past midnight?" He whispered, stooping down to your eye level.

"Yeah, yeah I know. You try being a princess locked in her own palace." You remarked, reverting your gaze from his shimmering, cobalt hues.

"I was also cooped up in my home. Don't blame me if my punishment is also affecting you too." He responded, pushing himself back to his original height.

Few weeks ago, the young Lucian prince was doing the same old tasks set out for him. His faithful blonde-head of a friend thought it would be a wonderful idea to sneak out to a new arcade place that recently opened up. Too bad they got caught on the way because of Prompto's constant, loud complains about how dark the atmosphere was by Ignis. For punishment, the loyal adviser assigned them the jobs of guarding the princess. The three of you never got along with each other. Ranging from pointless banters, over the top pranks, and totally cheating during your training sessions with swords and guns. They seemed to always team up with each other during it. Pretty unfair by your opinion.

"Psst, Noct? f-n in there?" Prompto murmured through the barely open window. He nearly fell back onto his bottom, catching your deadly glare.

"Yup, and as usual, she's trying to escape." Noctis answered with a scoff, walking over to the windowsill. He pulled the slightly open window upward, the blonde crawling in through, falling flat on his back.

"Great, even more people who are depriving me of my personal space." You muttered, drawing the attention of the two males.

"You're not the greatest ball of sunshine are you?" Noctis questioned, flicking you on the forehead with his finger. You swayed his hand away, lowering your eyes from theirs.

"So? Why does it matter?" You questioned, reverting your icey gaze back to their unreadable ones.

"Because, we're your friends." Prompto chimed, crouching down to your seating height.

"Friends? Your actions say other wise." You replied, crossing your arms over your flowy, f/c dress.

"Okay, I'm done with your arrogant attitude." You yelped, pursing your lips together in silence as the ravenette hoisted you into his arms bridal style.

"You want to see the world outside so bad? Wish granted!" Noctis dropped you directly off the balcony ledge, your shriek reaching his ears.

"Noct! Save her!" Prompto demanded, looming the upper half of his body over the edge, watching your figure drop rapidly.

"Fine, it was only a punishment anyways." His body vanished into a burst of crystals, placing a hand on Prompto's shoulder, quickly warping to ground level. Noctis warped once more, wrapping his arms around your waist in protection. Your legs trembled as you felt the ground support your face again, unable to choke out any smart ass comments. The two of them were quite surprised with how silent you were.

"f-n?" Noctis murmured, shaking you gently by the shoulders.

"Idiot..." You grumbled, punching him in the shoulder. He rubbed the sore spot, walking down towards the metal gate along with Prompto, the only obstacle in your pathway to the outer world.

"Ready?" The gunner asked, cocking his head towards you. You nodded softly in response, breathing in sharply through your teeth, taking a few steps onto the empty street. Many beautiful city lights illuminated the damp roads and cars, a cold wind accompanying the admiring scenery.

"Here, take this." A warm jacket draped over your shoulders, protecting you from the nightly whirlwind.

"T-Thanks Prom." You mumbled, tucking strands of hair behind your ear with painted red cheeks.

"Looks like I've been missing a lot." You whispered softly into the air, staring through the bright lights. A wave of disappointment weighed on your shoulders, not having the vantage point of seeing the stars. Shy to admit it to others, stargazing and astrology were two of your favorite things in the world.

"Noct, let's show her our super duper secret meeting place." Prompto says, making you roll your eyes at the cringey name.

"Sure, as long as she doesn't mention it to anyone." The other answered, slipping his fingers through your slim ones, Prompto clasping onto the other.

The uneasy feeling flooded your system, reappearing on the roof one of the towering city buildings. Your eyes flickered everywhere, examining the twilight sky for the twinkling lights. A soft breeze swept through the city, pushing away the clouds, revealing the lights.

"W-Wow..." You stood in awe at them, silently saying how too long it's been since your last stargazing moment.

"You're so cute when you look like a child on Christmas." Noctis cooed, watching you through droopy eyelids. You stood silently, unsure of how to answer. Was that a compliment or a rude remark?

"Of course she is! She may be rude, but she's beautiful." Prompto added, slinging an arm around your shoulder.

"Since when you guys were nice to me?" You finally decided to speak up, switching between glancing at the both of them.

"It's night time. I'm partially asleep so..." Noctis answered, sheepishly turning away his head with dusted crimson cheeks.

"Totally. I agree one hundred percent." Prompto concluded, ruffling his blonde hair with a lopsided grin.