Feathers

[sorry, i just had to do this.] 

Feathers ( d r a b b l e ) 

Liam has his knees pulled up to his chest on the couch, his arms draped over them as he twirls the dagger in his fingers. The steel blade is cold against his skin. He eyes the crackling flames over the fire place, which drapes eerie shadows over the dark room, and starts humming. A song their mother had always sang to them before she--

"Liam!" Louis's thin voice slashes over the silence, startling his younger brother. His heavy footsteps rage along the wooden floor, and Liam gulps. He has long perfected the art of nonchalance, so he succeeds on plastering a passive expression over his face. 

"Yeah?" His voice is strong and confident, just as deep and sure as he had wanted it to sound. Perfect. 

But in the bottom of his guts, he knows he's fvcked up. 

Louis stands over him, the flames casting his shadow on Liam, and although his features had been shadowed-over, Liam could still see the irritation and anger in his face. "What is this?!" he demands, slamming his palm against the coffee table. He leaves a grey feather there. 

Oh shit. 

Horror washes over Liam. He had been so sure he burned all evidence, where on earth had this come from? His pupils widen infinitesimally, breath catching, but he stands his ground. "That's not mine." 

"I'm your fvcking brother, Liam, I have taken care of you since you were fvcking five, I think I know what and what is not your feather!" Liam flinches at his brother's tone. He's seen Louis get mad, but not like this. Not with his breath heaving, face flushing even through the darkness, and voice practically shaking the house. "Show me your wings." 

Liam's facade shakes as he stares up at Louis, his brother, the only one who's ever truly cared for him, and it cracks. Just a little bit, but enough to let his vulnerability show. "No. I-I don't know what you're talking about, anyway, so stop it. That feather isn't mine."

"Liam," Louis seethes, his teeth gritting through the syllables, "take off your shirt." 

Liam gulps as he disentangles his limbs, leaving the dagger beside him, and stands up. His knees buckle beneath him, barely managing to hold his frame as he looks at Louis. "Brother, I--" 

"Now." Shaky fingers grip the hem of his shirt, and he slowly pulls it over his head. The coldness seeps through Liam's skin, but it's the white-hot glare in Louis's eyes that drags shivers over his spine. They're not good shivers. He looks at his brother for a silent plea, but Louis just nods, eggs him on with clenched jaws and arms tuck over his chest. Liam releases a shaky sigh, and snaps his wings open, the action twirling a gust around them and clapping over the flames. 

The feathers are steely grey now, instead of immaculate white. A gasp hitches in Louis' throat, eyes widening. A brief look of shock passes over his face. But then it's gone a second later. His eyes turn cold again, making Liam grimace internally, his guts curling. "Who is it?" 

"I-It's no one." 

Louis scoffs darkly, "It's that blond boy, isn't it?" Liam's insides lurch. "What's his name, again, Niall?" 

The younger boy doesn't answer, merely looking down at his bare feet. 

"I'm gonna fvcking kill him." Louis makes a run towards the door, his fingers curling on the knife tuck in his pocket. 

Something snaps in Liam then, a primal instinct, anger seeping through his lungs. In a swift movement he's in front of Louis and blocking him before he could grasp the knob.  "Don't you dare touch him," Liam warns, teeth clenched. 

"It'll be pleasurably painless." Louis shoves Liam to the ground with his shoulders, lithely twirling his legs so he wouldn't trip over Liam's limbs as he aims for the door again, but he isn't fast enough. Liam grabs for his foot and brings him down with him. 

They roll over the floor, shouting, trying to get the best hold of each other and knocking down valuable jars and vases. Shards of glass break and fall everywhere. 

Finally, Louis pins Liam beneath him, the younger boy struggling. He shouts, loudly, veins protruding from his neck,  "IT'S NOT LIKE YOU HAVEN'T FALLEN IN LOVE WITH A MORTAL BEFORE!" 

 Liam knows he's flicked a nerve on his brother because a flash of dark, feral anger breaks out his pupils. He grabs Liam by his shoulders tightly until his nails dig into his flesh. His wings, black as night and painted with golden/orange shades from the fire burning behind them, rips his shirt open, "I'M TRYING TO STOP YOU FROM MAKING THE SAME MISTAKE!"