Scared

Scared ( d r a b b l e )

Heavy raindrops spatter the window like rivuleting liquid bullets. Lightning flashed, momentarily illuminating the whole room, followed by the loud rumble of thunder. The little boy quivers underneath his blanket, curled in a tiny ball. Breathing ragged. Just hopes it would all go away.

It doesn’t. Instead, the storm grows stronger, the wind that flings itself on the window growing harder. When another thunder claps, the frightened little boy dashes across the room and out his door. It’s dark, and the fear rising up in the boy’s chest doesn’t help him much. His bare feet cold on the floor, he slowly drags his shaking little legs to his parents’ room. Lightning strikes, and he glimpses the outlines of raindrops, trickling down the window at the end of the hallway, paint themselves on everything, silver and pale droplets. He slowly, silently, pushes his parents’ door, his tiny head peeking through the small opening. “Daddy? Papa?” he whispers through the darkness, voice delicate. Scared blue eyes scanning the room.

From under the covers, something moves. Liam would know his son’s voice from anywhere, even from his sleep. Slowly, sleepiness drains out of him and his eyes open. At first everything seems blurry, his eyes getting accustomed to the darkness, but then he sees his son by the door, his head poking out. He immediately reaches to the side to flick the lamp open. Accidentally wakes up Niall, who’s head had been resting on his chest, and the Irish groans. He rubs his hands across his eyes. “What’s up, Li?”  

“Our son’s by the door,” Liam answers quietly, placing his elbow underneath him so he could haul himself up into a sitting position. Niall immediately perches at that. “Come here, pumpkin,” Liam coos.

Hesitantly, the little boy closes the door and walks to his Daddy. Liam lifts him up and places him at the middle of the bed, in-between him and Niall.

“What’s wrong, baby?” Niall asks, rubbing his fingers comfortingly along the little boy’s spine.

“Can I sweep hew?” the toddler asks innocently, his pale blue eyes shining against the lamp’s light. Voice scared and vulnerable. “I’m scawed.” Just then, thunder booms and he jumps, frightened.

“Aww, don’t be scared,” says Liam, “we’re here now. And of course you can stay here.”

“Thank you,” the little boy whispers, smiling up at his parents.

“We’re always here for you, kiddo,” Niall smiles encouragingly. “Now come on, let’s get some sleep. We need to get up early and bake some cookies for Uncle Haz and Uncle Lou and Uncle Zayn. Do you want that, sweetie?”

“They’re coming?” For a moment, the toddler’s eyes grow comically, excitedly, and Niall beams at him.

“Yes, baby. They’ve missed you a lot,” he answers.

“Yay! Am gonna see baby Larry too?” the little boy asks hopefully.

“Yes you are,” Liam answers, smiling down at him. “Now, the sooner you sleep the faster they’ll get here, okay?”

“Okay, Daddy.” The toddler immediately buries himself under the sheets, grinning at them. “Come on, Daddy, Papa, let’s sweep!”

“Okay, okay,” Liam chuckles, settling in beside the little boy just as Niall had. He turns off the light and wraps an arm around the toddler and Niall, pulling them close to him with Niall’s arm draped over him as well.

“’Night, Papa, ‘Night Daddy,” the little boy yawns not moments after the lights flicker off and darkness consumes them. He truly feels the warmth and comfort being here with his Daddy and Papa. “Love you.”

Niall and Liam smile. “’Night baby, we love you too,” answers Niall for both of them, kissing his baby boy on the cheek good night. He lifts his head and mouths to Liam, “I love you.”

Liam mouths it back too, the two silently grinning like idiots like the first time they held their baby in their arms. They snuggle in each other and soon sleep over comes them.

Another lightning pierces the sky and thunder tails behind seconds later, but the little boy isn’t scared anymore.

He knows he's safe. 

_*_*_ 

Everything here's been unstable and unruly, but then this idea came up and I just had to do it. Thank you again Niam, for saving my life. 

Anywho, I didn't put a name because I couldn't think of a beautiful-enough one for Niam, so . . .