Heart of Cupid

Heart Of Cupid ( d r a b b l e )

Blue irises slowly peek from closed eye lids. Niall yawns,  a warm, sleepy smile breaking through his lips as he feels the gentle rythm of heart beats underneath his cheek. He looks up at his sleeping boyfriend, and his smile grows bigger.

He lifts his head from Zayn's chest and places a gentle kiss on the latter's lips. "Good morning, babe." Zayn doesn't even move, making Niall chuckle because of course he doesn't, it's Zayn. "You sleepy head," he teases quietly, standing up. He stretches his hands over his head, and smiles wistfully when he hears the familiar crack of his fingers when he twists them.

He yawns one more time before pulling on a pair of sweat pants and a cozy sweat shirt. He kisses Zayn again and moves down stairs. It's early in the morning, the still coldness invisibly scraping at his bare hands and feet. Not even the earliest rays of sunlight could be seen.

His smile disappears when he reaches the bottom. His blood suddenly runs hot and his body turns rigid. "Get out," he says harshly. His eyes are icy cold.

The brown-haired boy, who had been inspecting the picture frame on top of the piano, snaps his head, and his lips curl. "Good morning too, Niall."

Said boy's heart hitches when his cerulean eyes meet the other's brown ones. A shade of brown he hasn't seen in nearly two centuries. Niall's glare hardens, a fire of pure hatred dancing among the blackness of his pupil. "What are you doing here?" he snaps in a hushed whisper, trying his hardest not to lash out and wake Zayn up.

The brown-haired boy coolly places his hands inside the pocket of his jeans. "Aphrodite has sent me to get you. She says its urgent."

"What does she want?" There's venom in Niall's voice.

The other boy clicks his tongue, shaking his head disapprovingly. "Now, now," he says, "That is not how you speak about your own mother, Eros." He intones the word, smirking.

"Don't call me that!" Niall snaps, still in a hushed whisper, "I've abandoned that name centuries ago."

The boy keeps quiet, staring at Niall for a few seconds before turning to look at the picture frame set on top of the slick, black piano. "So," he says smoothly, "this your newest boyfriend?" 

It's a picture of Niall and Zayn on the beach just last month, with the latter's hand wrapped protectively around Niall's frail frame. The sea is of a brilliant blue, and the sun shining hotly couldn't have challenged the brightness of their smiles as they posed for the picture. They look smitten with love.

Smitten with lies.

The boy's eyes glisten with irritating feigned innocence as he looks at Niall, challenging him. But Niall can't utter a word, his tongue is heavy as lead in his mouth. Suddenly his ribs become too small, squeezing in on his lungs like a serpent. Each drag of breath is a struggle as he keeps a straight face. "Yes," he breathes finally.

The other chuckles, a dark sickening sound like steel against metal, banging through his throat. "That's cute," he says, "but the real question is," he pauses, and at that second his amused face twists to a serious expression, "do you love him?"

The words had been so silent as they left the boy's mouth, but they feel like pointed daggers that stab Niall's heart with extreme precision as they hit him. He forces an answer though. "Of course."

"Is that so?" The boy ponders, and then he has Niall pushed against the creamy wall, so fast Niall barely had the time to gasp. He plants his left arm on the wall beside Niall, his other hand slithering around his hip. He stares hotly at the shocked boy, brown heating blue. A warm pleasurable sensation spreads over Niall's lips as the other boy's hot breath ghost over them. "Then why don't you say it out loud?" he whispers.

Niall gulps, staring at the challenging brown orbs that were the boy's eyes. They look at him with a smoldering intensity that makes Niall's knees wobbly. His hands grow clammy, a sweat dribbling down his forehead.

How could he not say it?

He and Zayn had been dating well over a year now, they've shared kisses and cuddled on the couch on Friday nights. They went on dates. Whispered sweet nothings in each others ears. They've been wrapped up in their own bubble of warmth and kisses and cuddles and giggles.

He tells Zayn 'I love you' every time.

But why can't he say it out loud in his face? Why does it seem as if the words are as heavy as rocks, impossible to push out through his throat?

He can't. Not when his and this boy's hot breaths intermingle in front of them. Not when his knees wobble with how close they are. Not when the boy's warmth engulfs him, surrounding him like the inside of a coccoon. Not when he's staring at him with so much intensity it hurts.

Not when he makes his heart beat race the way Zayn can't.

"If you love him as you claim you do," the boy whispers again, "then why do your eyes say otherwise?"

"W-what do they say?" Niall stammers, and the boy leans in closer, pushing his body against Niall's harder, the latter gulping down a breathy moan.

"They beg for me," the boy says slowly, and his lips have gone impossibly closer to Niall's, "they want me to hold their owner the way I once had. They long to see me before they close at night, and when they open at dawn." He detatches the hand from Niall's hip and uses its thumb to caress his soft, pale cheeks. The boy in question leans in to his warm touch; it's been so long, and to have his fingers against his skin sends him a blast of longing. "Come back to Olympus. We need you. I need you," he adds, his eyes soft and loving. The shade of brown Niall had once upon a time fell in love with.

"Ares," Niall breathes, and it feels liberating. Exhilirating. He feels so much lighter with the mere utter of his name, which he hasn't so much as whispered in the past two centuries. He feels as if he's stepping on a cloud, and his lungs feel as if they've been stuffed with cotton.

It's wonderful.

"It's Liam, actually, here in the mortal world," the boy, who is now identified as Ares (or Liam, as he prefers), says, and Niall smiles. When their lips are about to touch, a light thudding descends from the stairs, popping them from their tiny bubble. "Same time, same place, yeah?" Liam asks hopefully, but before Niall could answer, he disappears into a swirl of white silky smoke. He's gone. 

"Are you okay, babe?" Zayn asks worriedly. He stands by the landing, wearing nothing but boxers.

"Y-yeah," Niall says, detatching himself from the wall.

Same time, same place.

°~•°•~°

So, uh, yeah. That was a drabble, meaning it doesn't make sense, lol. I really have no idea why I wrote that, considering that I should be doing my assignments right now, but oh well *shrugs* I just thought the god of war and god of love falling in love with each other would be awesome and romantic. So yeah ....

K bye.