Just Breathe

"No, no, no, no, this isn't happening, it's not, Justin, no, this can't be happening, no, nonononono-" Demi said, over and over, like a mantra.

It couldn't be. Elevators didn't just shut down like in the movies. They didn't stop midway, lights flickering out so only the dull light of the backup light washed over them. No, that could not be fucking happening, not at all.

"Relax Demi, it's okay, they'll figure it out, shhh." Justin soothed, ever the protector, but Demi barely heard him.

It figured, really. That the one time just the five of them were in the lift, no security, nobody, the elevator had shuddered to a stop, shook and the lights had just gone out. Selena wasn't so much scared of being trapped there, more so of the darkness and Justin was running his hands through Demi's hair comfortingly. And Ariana was just straight up lost, trying to calm them and press buttons and figure this the hell out but then Demi was having an utter panic attack.

Demi couldn't breathe. She couldn't catch her breath and her chest was constricting and everyone knew, they knew what was happening, but it was always so hard to help the poor girl, always so difficult. Justin had his hands on the girl's shoulders, trying to keep her calm, but the space was so small and crowded and they were stuck, totally stuck and she couldn't deal with it, ragged gasps of air turning to sobs that sounded like she was choking.

"Demi, breathe for me, okay, come on, in and out, shhh, breathe," Justin was coaching, but panic was surrounding her and she was so lightheaded and dizzy and claustrophobic and holy shit, she couldn't do this at all.

"C-can't-" Demi managed to choke, but soon more sobs were tumbling out.

"Demi? Demi, Kenny's got a janitor, they're coming to get it fixed okay?" Ariana said, phone still pressed to her ear.

"Demi, baby, you need to breathe, can you do that?" Justin asked, but Demi nearly collapsed to the floor as her knees gave out, breathing even worse than before. Justin supported her, sliding them down to sit on the floor slowly and carefully, settling between Demi's knees, and putting their foreheads together.

"Breathe, Demi. For me, can you do it for me? Breathe, please? In and out, here, look at me, you can do it, come on, for me." Justin said soothingly, cupping Demi's cheeks.

"No I c-can't," Demi stuttered out, gasping for air and crying again. "Too m-much."

"Too much what, baby? Tell me, come on, just breathe and tell me so we can fix this." Justin soothed his girlfriend, wiping away tears and putting a hand over Demi's racing heart.

"It's too dark." Jaden answered for him, still half in Justin's side, torn between helping Demi and staying where he was, in need of comfort himself.

Ariana fumbled with her phone before finding the flashlight app and tapping it, and soon white light was illuminating the small space. Demi felt her dizziness fade a little, but she was still gasping for air.

"Shh," Justin cooed, pulling Demi into a hug. "You need to relax, let me help you, just relax okay?"

But Demi shook again, feeling even more anxious, what if they were trapped here for the whole night? Oh God, crazy fears overwhelmed her, over and over, and where her breath had begun to even out, it hitched again.

Justin knew what he had to do, knowing it was a make or break moment, but what other choice did he have? Ariana wasn't helping, having retreated into herself in worry.

He pulled away from Demi and leaned in to capture her lips with his own. Demi squeaked in surprise, mouth shaking with the rest of her, but Justin continued, pressing kisses to those perfect lips, over and over. Slowly, and not without struggle, Demi started to breathe again.

A combination of surprise and calm (and were those butterflies in her stomach?) washed over her, shocked her breathing got back to normal, heart rate slowing, panic flattened by the weight of Justin kissing me and I fucking love it.

When Justin did pull away, his eyes were shaded and Demi couldn't help but get lost in them.

"You're breathing again." Justin commented, and oh my God, she was. She could breathe. As if to prove it, she inhaled a deep breath, exhaling through her nose.

"I am." She muttered, still not looking away from those mesmerizing eyes.

Hands still shaking, she moved to intertwine her fingers with Justin's, worried that he might pull away, run or something (where the hell would he go) but he didn't. Instead, the boy smiled, and squeezed his fingers back.

The others had noticed, had watched the whole thing, but were still too worried to say anything. They were still trapped in a goddamn lift, after all.

The next few minutes were tense, all of them moving to sit on the floor, Jaden on Justin's side, Ariana's bumping knees as if hoping it could comfort anyone, and Demi's curled into Justin. She was still shaking, breathing sometimes speeding up when she really thought about their situation. The inside of the lift was stuffy and small, and if they let themselves think about it, they would panic until another one calmed them down. Eventually though, they heard fumbling and they could tell the door was being pried at.

"Guys? You okay in there?" Kenny called, and they all sighed with relief.

"We will be once you get us the fuck out of here!" Jaden shouts back, and they didn't quite laugh, but it lightened their situation.

The doors creaked open a bit, light flashing through as a glimmer of Kenny was seen. But obviously a crowbar wasn't enough, as they slammed shut again under the pressure. Demi's breathing started to increase again, the idea of being stuck coming back, flooding her mind, overwhelming her. But Justin sensed this, and took Demi's chin between his forefinger and thumb lifting her head. He then pressed their lips together again, just a tender peck, before pulling back and smiling softly. Demi was calm, but distant after that, even as the doors were eventually pried open and they crawled out, Justin's hand grabbing hers and hauling her up.

Justin had whispered sweet nothings as they entered their room, prying Demi away just so he could pull off his heavy jumper before he crawled onto the bed and snaked his arms around Demi and tugged her close.

The girl snuggled in, clutching at the white fabric of Justin's vest in desperate need of comfort. Justin shushed her, kissing her hair repeatedly as Demi started crying again, emotions overwhelming her.

"Shh, you're safe. You're fine now, relax, yeah? Breathe for me, just breathe." Justin murmured into her ear softly, rubbing circles on her back as it hitched.

"I'm sorry," Demi cracked. "I just...and I mean...and..."

"I know, baby. It was fucking scary, for all of us. I don't blame you for freaking out. Just breathe now, okay?" Justin suggested, and Demi tried for the life of him to calm herself.

In, out, in, out, in, out, crap. Her heart started beating fast and she felt panic grip her again. That was weird, she was safe though. But apparently she didn't feel that way, because her stupid eyes teared up again.

Justin shifted to pull their faces close and scared brown was met with reassuring brown, and both of them moved this time, lips together.

And she could breathe again.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE <3 <3